Another cupboard project

...although for a friend this time:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Face_frame_cupboard
(first draft, so it may not be English! Feel free to fix if you so desire!)
--
Cheers,

John.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu, 26 May 2016 02:37:28 +0100, John Rumm

Nice one (again) and how easy you make it all look / sound. Where is all the 'first, find a length of pine that is not twisted' or 'struggle to get a sheet of MDF onto the roof of your car ..'. ;-)
If he paints it lime green it will look exactly like the cupboards I pulled out of this place ~40 years ago!
The problem was then having to strip and re plaster the alcoves as they had plastered them *after* putting the cupboards and shelves (that were floorboards) in. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 26/05/2016 08:35, T i m wrote:

Well there was an element of that... some of the pine I had as 8x1 planks sat on the shelf, and they were fairly twisted, but I could get enough out of them for the frame. After that I went to the wood shop for some straight 4x1 for doing the door frames, since I figured that would not only save time ripping it all down to narrower stuff, but also have a fighting chance of making flat doors!
The MDF was from stock of a couple of sheets I had bought some months ago, and struggled to load on the car in a strong wind. But that was long enough ago that I have blanked it from memory ;-)
I did buy a toolstation sheet goods carrier the other day - that makes shifting around full sheets of ply etc much easier on your own:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p60073?table=no
There was also the "measure carefully several times, cut wrong repeatedly" factor - You might be able to see a join in one of the small door panels. Where I marked carefully and then cut a tapered panel a 1/2" too narrow at one end[1]. Thought "no problem" I have a MDF offcut from a previous job that I can use, and this time cut it on the table saw - so no danger of a tapered cut. Then proceeded to cut that nice and square but one inch too narrow!
[1] cut using a sawboard and a hand held saw, while working on trestles in the garden since I ca'r feed 8x4 sheets through my table saw.

Yup that's always fun ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu, 26 May 2016 11:00:08 +0100, John Rumm

And that's the thing when doing stuff for other people. You spend a_long_time trying to select the best of what's on offer and use the best to worst on the job, trying to use the worst on the least visible bits. Then they see some little thing and question / complain about it.

That is fun isn't it (not). ;-)
The fun bit (in a sad way) is watching someone else driving home with some sheet material on the roof of their car and then seeing it fold 180 degrees around the front most strap. ;-)

The only scars you remember are those you can still see.

Yeah, I saw them and thought they were a good idea. I think I still prefer getting helper on the other end (if it's heavy enough to warrant such etc).

'Think thrice, measure twice, cut once'. I didn't do that with some 'Production paper' (?) the other day when I cut it lengthwise rather than across (to fit a rubber sanding block). ;-(

I didn't.

Doh! It's days like that I generally do something less creative or go back to bed. ;-)

That's when you pop in to check the fit of something and it starts raining. And it will be MDF and not a bit of pine.

I tell what is fun (as you mention Sketchup in the Wiki and have helped me with it etc) having the need for something and being able to design, print and use it quickly and easily. ;-)
Silly little things like my mate got a new CCTV DVR and when he put it on what was an old CRT TV wall mount the connectors sat on the lip at the back. The 'feet' were just shallow metal cones so I 'designed' a couple of 'cups' that sat over (under) the rear feet and jacked it up by 10mm (bringing the DVR horizontal), stuck them under the DVR with some d/s tape and put a rubber foot in the middle of this new 'foot' and solving the problem. Ok, we could have found a strip of wood or similar to put across the back but this was easier and better. ;-)
So thanks for the leg up a while back. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.