Does anyone know what these grips are called?

The ones I used and still use are "Footprints". That's the name of the firm that made tehm.

I found rather good set of self adjusting grips made in NZ. As the salesman said "they have to be simple - we sell them in Australia"

Reply to
charles

Thanks, all. It turns out it was these

But they've been replaced by a newer model.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Sorry, yes Footprints - they used to have an outline of a footprint stamped upon them..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Ah well I was going to suggest these:

ss

Velocettes had a square shaft.

Seems pretty safe to me. Certainly better than setting the throttle to, say, 1000 rpm and using the advance/retard lever for finer control.

Reply to
newshound

Closely related: carver clamp.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Of course. I was in Brighton a few times last year and ended up having an interesting conversation with two of the staff. I still have some tools I bought there 52 years ago.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Seems dependable, but how do you make adjustments to the angle? Or do you just hope your ankle bends at the correct angle? :-)

The way I fitted it, you had to push it forward to open the throttle. A bit counter-intuitive.

I remember we were trying to teach a girl to ride. She couldn't get used to the idea that you twisted it back to speed up, and let it go forward to slow down. So she'd pull it back to try to slow down, and usually ended up accelerating into a hedge, or something. She got the hang of it eventually, though.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Reply to
FMurtz

Commonly called water pump pliers -

Peter Parry

That's a different animal entirely. No mole grip action with those.

Reply to
2987fr