Help needed - plaster / filler

Looking for help. I have about 8 holes like the images and had various recommendations. This is what looks like plaster or browning straight onto breezeblocks. No plasterboards.
Some say, use pva and the pollyfilla then sand and PVA again. Others say just use plaster.
Not sure what to use for the best.
On 10/01/2019 23:44, Shaun wrote:

PVA inside of the hole or the water will be quickly sucked out of the plaster or filler you use to fill the hole and it will crack up. Use a 50:50 mix of PVA and water and paint the whole inside of the holes. Let it dry and just before applying the pollyfiller just give it a quick coat of PVA/Water again.
You may want to apply two coats of filler, the first one to just below the finished surface and a second thin coat level with the finished surface. This will help minimise any sanding. You could use a finishing plaster as the "filler"
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

message

It does look like the plaster isn't really sticking to the blocks that well, so I'd go the PVA/polyfiller route myself.
On Thursday, 10 January 2019 23:44:05 UTC, Shaun wrote:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Fill The substrate looks friable so I'd paint it with diluted pva first. Don't try to get a pva coating on the surface, just 1 coat of well diluted is fine.
NT

Ditto the use of PVA, but I would use Wickes one-coat filler as a base coat then Wickes fine-surface filler on top.
why is the surrounding wall stippled ?.
Is this a textured coating or painted woodchip ?.
Either way you need to remove it (woodchip) or having the entire wall skimmed professionally if it is a textured coating.
matching that stippled finish will not be easy (though my grandmother did some fantastic pottery dinosaurs when we kids and used Grandpas aertex underpants to make the stippled appearance.
One last point, is this Cornwall in a property made of Mundic block ?. You need to keep this dry or it will disintegrate.
Go with the PVA, seal with a very dilute mix and just before applying the p laster apply a second adhesive coat approx. 50:50. I would then fill with b onding coat 11mm at a time. Strike off any excess with a straight edge or D erby filling any depressions. Scarify the finished surface once set and app ly finish whilst base coat has plenty of moisture. If you have to apply fin ish at a later date then seal the base coat surface again with dilute PVA.
One of those holes looks like the plaster on one edge is coming away from t he wall, you need to enlarge the hole until you reach sound plaster. Using a hammer and chisel may cause more plaster to loosen and you end up replast ering more than you wish. A gentler way of removing the plaster is to tap i t to establish where it is sound and use a carbide blade in a multitool to cut an edge then use a decent scraper to prise away the plaster to your gro und edge.
Richard
On 11/01/2019 13:07, Andrew wrote: ?.

To me it just looks like a skim coat of plaster has just been over-painted using a emulsion and a roller giving that subtle light textured finish.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk