Laid a membrame with small stone chippings over the top , NOW weeds are coming through...

Hi , i had a membrame type material over a piece of soil around 10 foot by

8 (unsure of name of membrame other than its black ) , with small stone chippings over it around 8 months ago , and in various places theres what looks like danilion leafs coming through , what did i do wrong ? i must say he did not use any weed killer underneath it firstly .

After such a short period of time , should there be weeds poping through ??? they appear to be in various locations...

Any advice welcomed before i go and moan about it , so i can be clued up slighty about what should of been done......OR is this just par for the course , tough luck it was bound to happen !!!!

Reply to
Just Wondering

Before you moan about it, are the roots above or below the membrane? If they are above then the seeds have blown in. Either way, I would just mix some Weedol in a sprayer and kill the weeds off. Alternatively, sodium chlorate solution watered in will prevent all growth for about six months.

Reply to
DIY

Hi Diy , thank you for your fast reply , okay but if there below , should the membrame not stop this happening , it was only laid 8 months ago? how would i know if they are from above or below ? if from below i guess they have come through the membrame , but if from above i guess they have gone through the membrame also ?

Reply to
Just Wondering

If the stone chippings are lose I would dig down with a hand trowel and see if the roots are above or below the membrane. As far as I know the membrane should let rain water drain through but shouldn't let plants grow through. Excluding light and air normally kills most weeds in my experience.

Reply to
DIY

Bird droppings containing seeds. The dropping provides enough nutrient for the seed to grow

How deep is the chipping layer? How big is the overlap on the fabric?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

As others have said the weeds are probably growing in the gravel but it isn't impossible for the roots to grow down through the membrane into the soil below. I've found that happen especially witha cheap membrane.

Reply to
malc