Does anyone know what these 'springs' are called?

Torsion springs?

alan_m

All normal coil springs are torsion springs. These are not normal coil springs, their action is more cantilever, like a coiled up leaf spring.

Just folded so they actually provide torque rather than linear force, But the metal is not in torsion. Which is how was taught the definition of a torsion spring is - so a torsion bar is the basic one, if you coil that up you get a coil spring , but the metal is still being twisted. The other type of spring is where the metal is being *bent*, not twisted, its a cart spring or cantilever spring, and if you coil THAT up you get what's in those images.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, thanks. That does seem a common term for them. The normal suspects such as eBay don't stock them unless I buy from China with a corresponding delay in delivery.!

Reply to
Fredxx

I can't tell what size they are, but non-critical springs are easy to make using a suitable mandrel and piano wire. You'll probably find several relevant YouTube vids. Alternatively, if they're critical, search for a custom spring maker - this chap has been helpful in the past: Marius Smith snipped-for-privacy@springmakers.uk.com>

(No connection, YMMV blah blah blah)

Reply to
nothanks

What size, and what application do you have in mind?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Hairpin Springs.

Reply to
jon

Ping-Fuckits (where are my bloody glasses)

Reply to
Andrew

When working on car drum brakes I tied a piece of string to the spring and attached the other end to the car chassis/body before removing springs. This was after a incident when a spring went flying off into the blue yonder whilst servicing the brakes on a Mk3 Ford Cortina :)

Reply to
alan_m

There’s a pic of a stripped-down 1948 Velocette KTT Mk VIII engine here, and you can see the hairpin valve springs.

My brother had one of these, but it being against my parents wishes, he garaged it at a friend’s place so I never got to see it.

Apparently, it was made road legal with an extensive kit comprising bicycle battery lights front and rear, and a saucepan lid with holes drilled in it over the end of the megaphone.

Now apparently worth north of £35,000…

Reply to
Spike

I had one with a bronze cylinder head.

Reply to
jon_t

What did you think of the bike?

Back in the day I rode mainly Velocette: two Noddy bikes, a MAC, and two Venoms (one of which was a MkI Clubman).

Reply to
Spike