What are these called?

I think they are sold to warn parents when their kids stray away from the home. I want one for a dog which has a Houdini streak in him - We need to know when he manages to get out from the garden.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Something like this?

pcb1962

I often wonder where escaping animals think they're actually escaping *to*, then I wonder if they know something we don't...

Don't know, by the way. Soz.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Angel Alert, Wander Wear? I Googled for 'Child Wanders Off Alert' so you might find other stuff if you do that too.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

goes off if the child strays more than 4 meters (13.1 pies), and another for longer distances that warns you when the child has wandered off more than 8 meters. (26.2 feet)"

Sorry, but WTF is "pies" as a measurement!?!

Reply to
Toby

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Toby" saying something like:

Fat little bastard, then.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

A French typo for pieds?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The Google term you need is dog locator or pet locator.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Ask a Wiganer.

Reply to
Elder

Thanks to all and that is the sort of thing we need, just need one with longer range (50m) so it doesn't trigger whilst still in the garden.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

ISTR you can get this sort of kit for Alzheimer's sufferers - those might have the range you need - which might steer you in the right direction.

David

Reply to
Lobster

search on Loc8tor Plus at Maplin.co.uk

Locates up to 183m away (line of sight) and alert mode has near medium and far although I don't know what sort of distance those are. Loc8tor.co.uk now has splash proof cases.

Mine works well for finding things. Not used it for alert mode.

My dog had the Houdini streak as well so for his own safety the nuts came off. Worked a treat - he was probably wondering what he'd lose next if he wandered off again.

Reply to
Periproct

Bungee rope ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Periproct formulated on Tuesday :

Is that the complete unit, tag and receiver? Seems awfully cheap for both.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

There are over 300 different units of length, 4 of which are pies:-

Bertie Doe

So ball park, a jolly Imperial foot!

Reply to
Clot

Stable door? If you are alerted by any such device, he will already be a long way away when you find out, hence large areas to search/chase him through.

Would it not be easier to dog proof the garden? Or an area of it for him?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Well done, for a bonus point - how many hairsbreadths in a JI foot?

Reply to
Bertie Doe

That wasn't the best of links from me. That was the price for two panic tags.

would probably be more useful. They've even added a GPS one to their range but that's not cheap.

Reply to
Periproct

transponders on their collars.

Reply to