What are these called?

Took me quite some time to achieve that! I was about to rename the critter Houdini! There was one 60' length which has fairly dense undergrowth against the boundary. At first she was not able to get through it - but eventually found a couple of places. Since there was a post and rail fence behind it, I managed to get through to it and affix some chicken wire. She would then work on getting through to new bits, and I would patch that bit etc. We played that game for weeks until in the end I wired the whole length of fence. I thought aha - that will stop you. So next time she vanished and I was standing out there at dusk wondering where she had gone, I saw this white blur appear in the neighbours paddock, run straight toward the fence, and apparently pass straight though it unhindered! Turns out she worked on wiggling under the bottom of the wire enough so that it stretched and let her through - then just remembered the weak spots. So for the last round I bought a couple of packs of tile batten, and screwed it to the posts along the base of the fence close to the ground, then cable tied the wire to the batten. Not had an escape since then, although she did go and inspect the full length very carefully!

I may have won the last battle - not totally convinced the campaign is fully over yet though.

Reply to
John Rumm

I realised as soon as I had posted my question - Maplin's web site is not the best when it comes to distinguishing between parts of a kit and the complete package, they tend to use the same description text for both.

Collected one today (complete kit :-) and in use now. Seems to work OK, but if anyone is interested I will do a longer term test report on it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

We have just spent £500 on doing exactly that and we still have not managed to work out how he gets out.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Border Collie ?

We had a 6' fence on three sides, apart from one incomplete side, which we have just spent £500 on completing. We just had one week spot, a 3' by 15' section of fence at the side/front, which I increased to 5' three weeks ago, but he still managed to find a way out since then. He sits so placidly even with the gates open, you wouldn't think he would be interested in escaping.

His step-sister recently moved in half a mile away and now visits here quite often - they play together great. The first time she visited, the pair of them managed to escape and had made their own way to the step-sister's new home and were playing together in their garden. Now remember she had only lived there a couple of days and that outing was her first walk in the village - You show me how we can escape from here and we'll go play at my place :-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield was thinking very hard :

week as in'weak'

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Good luck. I didn't really want to castrate the dog but after coming home from work one day and finding him missing I started making phone calls. He was at the vets after being hit by a car. The worst thing was they wouldn't tell me how he was as they hadn't had a proper look at him. He was OK apart from a couple of grazes but very subdued. The garden was already looking like a Stalag with our attempts to keep him in but the little beggar climbed. Watched him climb a ladder that was leaning against the house once. Front paws hooked over the rungs, back feet waving around until he found the next rung, tail going like the clappers. Don't think he'd thought ahead to the getting down part.

Reply to
Periproct