Do Boeing hand-make aeroplanes?

Look at this photo of a Boeing 737 engine:

Notice the rivets (or whatever they are - the dots around the silver end to the engine) are not in a straight line! A machine would have them perfectly aligned.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Are you insinuating that a team of DIY engine builders make them in sheds across Seattle?

I cannot see the picture but could you be seeing an optical illusion or maybe there are other reasons for not wanting things to be regularly spaced?

Mind you some of the bits that fall off of planes at landing or take off does make you wonder sometimes. Something called Speed tape seems to be used for temporary repairs, whether the speed bit means its fast to apply or fast to come off is anyone's guess.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

A slightly random layout will reduce the chances of some sort of vibration starting up in response to (for example) engine vibration at a particular frequency.

I don't suppose this is the reason but it's the excuse I use when I end up with fixings like this! :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

It's not the spacing, but the line they follow. There's a series of dots I assume to be rivets around the front of the engine. The line of dots wiggles about.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

James Wilkinson Sword posted for all of us...

I'm sure the rivets are exactly where the designers want them. Many considerations under the skin.

Reply to
Tekkie®

If the rivets were made in Glasgow the plane will crash .......

Reply to
J1MBO ...

On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 20:20:13 +0000, Chris Green coalesced the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension...

When I was at school we visited an aircraft factory a possible career path. I only remember two things, one was a cordoned off area where we were told a secret process was undertaken, something to do with putting a honeycomb texture into an alloy, and the other was a guy on a pair of step ladders drilling into a fuselage with a power drill "freehand" with no apparent plan or measure.

Reply to
Graham.

If it was an Airbust you could understand it ......

Reply to
J1MBO ...

On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 21:15:50 -0000, Tekkie=AE wrote= :

end to the engine) are not in a straight line! A machine would have the= m perfectly aligned.

The forwardmost line randomly wiggles about.

-- =

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary,= and those who don't.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

never mind....

Reply to
J1MBO ...

The only possible reference I can think of is the Titanic, and that was Irish.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

rbowman

but the rivets were made in Glasgow ....

Reply to
J1MBO ...

I'd guess it's to prevent a fracture line forming if they were in a neat line.

The sad tale of the Comets square windows is a warning about metal weakness ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Titanic.

Reply to
harry

One interesting thing from the 1980s was that in Guernsey, I was walking around the chain link fence around the airport and saw two people with a pair of steps drilling holes and inserting objects just under the rear end of a group of Trilanders. I asked what they were doing and apparently due to the fact that the engine was on the tail, under certain conditions when parked the wind could tip them so that the tail hit the ground. This could result in damage due to the odd centre of gravity. it was of course fine flying and when loaded. The little holes and inserts allowed what I can only describe as a strut to be affixed that at pressure on the tail by touching the ground when it was parked. It was of course removed when you wanted to fly.

However I guess small aircraft like this are a completely different thing to what was mentioned in the photo. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The original 737 had a jet engine with a circular engine nacelle. When Boeing decided to re-engine the 737 they wanted to use a new "fanjet". If they had used a circular nacelle it would have dragged on the ground. They therefore repositioned various ancillary pumps and generators and ever since the nacelle has been flat at the bottom. The forward rivet line had to be repositioned as well so it was no longer parallel to the rear line.

Reply to
Graham Harrison

All the billions of rivets made in Glasgow, fitted to millions of tons of s hipping, and the only sample that failed were fitted to a ship that was ste amed at high speed into an iceberg...

Reply to
Halmyre

If you mean Titanic wasn't it built in Belfast?

Reply to
The Other John