Problem with old swing doors

Victorian house, nice swing doors in hall with Climax hinges. Lefthand door is a little lower than the other one and swings a tiny bit too close to the other door so that they bash against each other rather than pass each other.

The top fitting is hanging down a bit as you can see on the photo.

What is the best was to adjust these? I'm hesitant to start dismantling them in case the spring explodes on me!

I can't work out what goes on with the pin at the top - it seems loose and moves up and down when I push the edge of the door towards the door frame.

The house was built in 1893 - surely these hinges aren't that old? I suspect the doors are though.

Murmansk

I found this:

Murmansk

The top-centre pivot being adrift is not helping your cause :-) There will be a screw in that which will retract the pin from the door so you can lift the door off the floorspring, and check the bottom shoe for wear. It is all repairable, but depends on how much you want to throw at it. Do the floorsprings actually work? i.e. do they close the doors gently, or do they crash shut. If so, it might be more cost effective to replace the units with a later type like a Dorma or Briton and just use those lovely old covers to disguise them. I suspect you will have a bit of butchery to carry out to fit new shoes or bottom straps though. Good luck with them.

Cheers, Jim

Reply to
Jim White

Very nice link! Obviously the "box" set into the floor is a "sealed unit". I'd have said that your problem was "wear" in one of the top bearings, which you should be able to fix without dismantling the springy bit.

Reply to
newshound

I don't know anything about floor springs, but I'd not expect anything from the 1800s to be a sealed unit.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr