I built a box to stand my telly on

Been a bit of a long slog this one - I started it mid January!

(usual typo warnings apply - feel free to fix / highlight bits that don't make sense)

Reply to
John Rumm

It's OK, I suppose. Oh alright, it's bloody impressive. Well done, as usual.

Reply to
Richard

In message , John Rumm writes

John, why are you wasting your life farting about with computers when you can do stuff like that? Yes, I know. Partly because what is done for pleasure is less of a pleasure as a business, and partly because people will not pay viable prices for real furniture while Ikea exist.

Reply to
Graeme

But next week the TV will go bang and the only acceptable alternative replacements will have a screen 3 inches larger. :)

Reply to
alan_m

In message , John Rumm writes

Excellent! Now I just happen to have this re-furbished chalet bungalow with lots of interesting alcoves and sloping spaces in need of kitting out:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Once again, 'nice one' John. ;-)

(I often use Sketchup as you do (bit not to the same detail!), to both visualise the finished article, highlight any constructional gotchas and to provide a cutting list).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

What a great piece of work - I wish I had the skills to do something similar but I'm very much a diy bodger.

Reply to
Mark Allread

very nice

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes, excellent work. I'm intrigued though, why didn't you add doors to hide the DVD player etc.?

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

I built a box; that's a palace!

Reply to
newshound

I'm also intrigued ... why you would want doors or want to 'hide' that sort of stuff (but then I'm a utilitarian). ;-)

A mate had bespoke AV cupboards made with doors and 1) has to leave the doors ajar to stop everything overheating (there are some vents but not will positioned) and 2) you have to sit there with the doors open to be able to use the remotes (unless you faff about with repeaters etc).

When I went round to help him out with a networking problem the other day the first thing I did was took the relevant doors off for fear of catching them backwards (they only opened 90 degrees) and ripping the hinges off. ;-(

And its not like if it has decent though-ventilation, doors would keep the dust out? ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

When TV started out, the BBC did exhaustive tests on the best position for the monitor screens in the control rooms. And concluded that having to look upwards to them produced unwanted strains on the body. So were always positioned below the eyeline.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mine has solid doors and just two holes in the top behind the TV for leads and ventilation plus a simple repeater which is no bother. I just think it looks much tidier. Okay not as extensive as yours but it does the job of tidying up an awkward corner.

There is a sound bar as well under the TV now.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Mainly because you need physical access to the CD/DVD player etc. Being able to use the controls on the front of the amp and the AV amp is handy as well, and also I need the remote controls to work.

(Kit that does not need such ready access can go in the cupboards below).

Reply to
John Rumm

Before varifocal glasses probably ;-)

I find if the seating is slightly reclined, then slightly up is ok... I guess time will tell. The design was constrained a bit by wanting to get lots of drawers in, and also placing the AV kit high enough to make access easy. The old TV that was there before was definitely too low though.

Reply to
John Rumm

Fair enough.

I wish it were mine. ;-)

Nice. I have a length of post-formed edge worktop that I hope to put across a similar sort of alcove as yours ... but now TV's aren't heavy and very deep, the worktop would probably be overkill.

We have lots of the dual-slot type upright shelving here, including in the lounge / alcoves as we find the versatility overwhelms the aesthetics. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I've just had to resort to my computer glasses to be able to see the ceiling cracks I am filling. ;-)

Nice bit of woodwork though.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

It's not though is it, he's correct.

I've been to many houses where the TV was positioned on the main / longest wall with the sofa opposite and with the height of the TV, set by say a fire surround or sideboard.

It's ok for a short time (waiting room) or as John says, as long as the chairs allow you to recline a little, or if it's further away from you as to minimise the viewing angle.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Why on Earth go to all this trouble for CD storage? Rip the CDs to a media server and put them in the loft in banana boxes ...

Reply to
Huge

:oD

Reply to