I built a box to stand my telly on

;-)

The irony of that is that plenty of "real" furniture uses veneers, whereas some of that "solid" wood stuff, is solid in the same way a beef burger is 100% beef! (i.e. there is all manner of crap in the mix, all glued back together with nicer bits on show and scrag ends in the middle).

Reply to
John Rumm

Software/data designed for music where the performer is more important than the composer? That's the problem I've seen with classical - I want that in composer order, but the other stuff by performer. The physical CDs live in two separate collections (spoken might make three), but the software tries to treat them the same.

Reply to
Clive George

Indeed, I had 'danish' teak room-divider/drinks-cabinet thing which my parents were chucking out 25 years ago, last year I decided I had given it house room for too long and knocked it down, there were some solid wood parts to it, but the rest was cleverly constructed from veneer and I'd never even suspected it.

Reply to
Andy Burns

MP3 tagging is hopeless for classical music.

Reply to
Huge

Have you got a PVR? Both of mine produce quite a bit of heat.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

doesn;t lok small to me it's the same size or form factor as a VHS. I just don't get what all the space is for. Sure a bit for PSU and interface .

This is more like it although rather expensive.

whisky-dave

I bought a table and chair set from Argos made of a kind of glulam: separate bits of wood glued together with tapered finger joints. It's OK, but looks rather weird as there's no attempt to match the wood colours and no indication of this on the web illustration.

Reply to
Max Demian

Dimensions 43 x 312 x 180 mm (H x W x D)

So quite a bit smaller than your typically 400mm wide box.

The reality is though there is not need to make is much smaller, and it would probably impede sales if you did. The buyer is going to want to feel they got something for their money, and also the player wants to operate like its a machine you insert the dvd into, not a case you put on it.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup a whole industry seems to have sprung up that makes whole things from what would traditionally been offcuts and scrap. Quite smart in some respects, but its almost edging toward chipboard with large chips!

Reply to
John Rumm

Superb!

Yes, I did that a while ago, and gave the CDs away - apparently broke a few copyright laws in the process.

Reply to
RJH

wow 88mm smaller.

I remmebr when they said that about hi-fi stacks.

I doube those that connect them to their computer think so.

Or maybe not.

Yeah sure, for the same reason we went from 12" 78s to 7" 45s because we wanted them larger.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Yes you did you naughty boy, it was giving away the originals while keeping copies is what would have broken the copyright law. When I copied my VCR tapes to disc I kept the original tapes (well most of them)

Even my copy of pink flamingo, of which one viewing was more than enough. :-@

Reply to
whisky-dave

Hence the banana boxes.

Reply to
Huge

I think the high court rescinded the law that made it legal for us to do format-shifting, so it would still be the ripping, rather than the giving away of the originals that was illegal ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

and less than half the height...

Much of the hifi separates market is still dominated by 18" wide boxes.

Something you connect to your computer is a different class of product from what people will perceive as a bit of home entertainment kit.

But hey, as you said yourself there is no technical reason you could not make them much smaller. So if there is a demand for such a product, I am sure someone will meet that demand.

Who mentioned the size of the disk?

Reply to
John Rumm

Fuck that noise.

Reply to
Huge

please make me one.

Reply to
critcher

I have a copy, but sometimes it cannot find the details of the CD so you end up with 'Track01' etc, and there seems to be no way of manually editing in the details that should have been found on the web.

Reply to
Andrew

Please make me a bigger workshop first, that was a PITA to build in the space available!

Reply to
John Rumm

Free MP3 tag editor, manual or remote metadata:

Max Demian