I built a box to stand my telly on

Im getting round to that way if thinking too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I use bi-focals for the TV and had a hard job to convince Specsavers to lower the transit level so I could recline comfortably.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It was not that much trouble - the drawers were easy.

I already have a fair number of them ripped to flac files on the fileserver. (you may notice the final photo had Plex open on the TV)

However, I have yet to find a playback device that is not completely outclassed by the 20 odd year old CD player feeding the hifi amp directly. In that setup there are at least three ways I can stream flac files: the bluray player, the AV amp and the TV are all capable. One could even pair the amp with a bluetooth device and stream from that.

(not to mention, little or no loft or banana boxes!) ;-)

The drawers can also be re-purposed if necessary.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup, it would not be the first time I made something specifically with a bit of kit in mind, and then found its replacement no longer fitted!

Still you could just get a 58" screen in there - the grille would be easy enough to adjust (but the screen would be right up to the uprights and not look as neat).

Reply to
John Rumm

Is that an old-style VHS recorder on the top left?

pamela

That's just what I was thinking, and if you should want to angle the screen. On one shelf it looks like there's a VCR , tuner and amplifier all fitting exactly into place, but what if yuo're next purchase is slightly larger ?.

I;'ve been looking at Blu-ray players why are all the standalones so wide compared to those you can connect to computers ?

I don't like my TV with a lot of clutter around it either, but it does look good if you like that sort of thing. I rememeber my grandparents has this sort of thing but yuo could close a flap to hide the TV.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Dynatron used to fit more or less standard Pye chassis inside a fancy cabinet. Looked perhaps like a drinks cabinet when closed up. Sort of thing Harrods sold.

I remember also seeing a radiogram and TV combined - made, I think by RGD.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This is quite compact: 43 x 312 x 180 mm (H x W x D)

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

En el artículo , John Rumm escribió:

A beautiful job John - I admire your attention to detail and the end result looks really good.

I do wonder though if your AV kit in the space under the TV isn't going to run too hot. I've found stacking it like that in an enclosed unventilated space isn't a good idea.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , bm escribió:

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Huge escribió:

... then in ten years' time, bin them...

Three vertical tower racks of CDs here. I keep meaning to rip them all, but the path to hell is paved with good intentions.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Indeed, a JVC S-VHS deck. There are still quite a few tapes sat about that might want an airing, so though I may as well plumb it in as it was there. SWMBO keeps threatening to digitize some of them, but I have my doubts that will happen ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Knock, Knock, no veneer, ere.

Reply to
Andrew

easier said than done.

Unless you want to be a slave to mircosoft then getting the cd metadata reliably, is (IMHO) hit and miss.

Does anyone do a decent ripping program that also allows full manual override, to enter composer, artist, track name etc where the cd metadata is ambiguous or unobtainable ?.

Reply to
Andrew

What have they to do with it? No Microsoft in this house.

Reply to
Huge

The bracket its on will permit tilting and rotating, but doing it too far might look a bit odd. (the screen is viewable from pretty much any angle anyway)

VCR and HiFi amp on top shelf, plus basket of Wii remotes. Bluray, CD, AV Amp, and Wii on lower shelf.

The original design had a fixed shelf, and it was not on a slider. So it was actually slightly wider and 3 "normal" hifi sized bits of kit would have fitted side by side. Adding the sliding drawer however lost some horizontal room. So you can't get three full width things side by side now. However the addition of the adjustment to the middle shelf means there is more flexibility to stack stuff.

Still I am not planning on making many changes to the equipment line up now (the previous major change of kit was in 1999, and that CD player I bought in '92). If needs be, stuff can go in the cupboard below, or on another shelf. (or I could change the design if I really wanted to)

Presumably so they don't look silly piled on top of your HiFi stack?

Its partly why I wanted the black cloth surround - to give a bit of visual space before other stuff crept in.

Reply to
John Rumm

Back in the 60s, Zenith had a combination unit with a film scanner included. super 8 IIRC.

Reply to
Capitol

So far it seems ok, but I will keep an eye on it. The only things that develop any real heat are the amps. There is ventilation through the shelves, and also out of the back of the sliding box. There is a path for air up behind the TV and the surround will let warm air flow out. It might be worth adding some ventilation in at the bottom though... I could fit a louvre vent in the side of the plinth perhaps, and then another between the cupboard and the void in the plinth.

Reply to
John Rumm

I use Exact Audio Copy which seems to do most things. I also has a choice of database engines to query, and can auto find most stuff in my collection. (not so good on classical though)

Reply to
John Rumm

En el artículo , Andrew escribió:

Exact Audio Copy.