Hall Marks

Hi All,

I have a prayer book which has a silver cross on the front which I believe belonged to my grandma (whose name was Hall 11::^*>>))

I?ve uploaded the hallmark here

Can anyone tell me what they signify?

I?d be particulars interested in Year.

Cheers

TIA

Best regards

Chris

Reply to
cpvh

W&S is the makers mark a quick google doesnt reveal it, though further searching may get it. r the year, 1872, 1912 or 1932, I cant see it very well. Lion = Sterling silver Leopard head - = london Assay office , they tested/stamped it.

Look it up, there are loads of pages where you can look yourself:

Alan

CW&S = Charles Westwood & Sons ?

Reply to
Andy Burns

The photo is very indistinct but the first cartouche is the maker (too blurry), the second is the date letter (1916), the third signifies 925 sterling silver and the last is the assay office (too blurry).

Others may be more expert.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Curious and drinking tea at my desk I found you can look up the marks here:

it's hard to tell from your image. Looked like London, there were a number of W&S makers.

TW

Reply to
TimW

Sorry, 1912 not 1916.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Thank you all very much.

I should have said, I did try to DIY it (look myself), but gave up when there were multiple dates for r.

1912 would certainly fit with it having been grandmas.

Cheers

Chris

Reply to
cpvh

+1
Reply to
Rob Morley

Thanks guys!

As usual, I would?ve had to have researched a VERY long time to work this out from first principles.

Cheers

Chris

Reply to
cpvh