Re: bloody dishwasher design

Shurely you don't still do that after the first time ?

Reply to
Jim K..

see other reply

oh yeah.

I'm going to throw away a week old DW and buy a new one to solve this problem

Quite apart from the fact that I am not in the market for a Bosch in the first place.

I don't need extra space for plates

I need space for utensils and pots and pans.

Reply to
tim...

I put those on the 2nd basket.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I have a new dishwasher

> >It has a cutlery box that has a cover on it with little slots in it for you >to inset your knives etc > >these slots are far to small to hold a cooking implement (or for that matter >a knife with an oversize handle) so there is nowhere in my dishwasher to put >said implements > >who designs these sodding things

Throw the cover away?

Or get a d/w with a cutlery shelf, like our new Bosch. It's a bit of a faff to load but does mean that the whole of the bottom layer is dedicated to plates etc.

Reply to
Tim Streater

just buy a third party cutlery basket

or send the f****ng thing back as not fit for purpose

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why didn't you check into what's available in detail before purchase then?

Which is what SWMBO uses a lot of the bottom shelf for. The spiky bits can be folded flat leaving space for a pan.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Nothing stops online shoppers visiting their local Curry's and seeing what models there are. It never occurred to me that you could get a

700mm wide ordinary fridge-freezer, or a d/w with a shelf for cutlery, until we'd spent an hour or two fondling them offline.
Reply to
Tim Streater

That's what we have. I have found that if the top basket is filled with cups, insufficient water reaches the cutlery and it isn't always completely cleaned.

But generally better than the basket our previous D/W had.

As for checking stuff out in shops... ao.com have a lot of videos for the products they sell, where someone 'shows you round' the appliance.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Something you maybe should have checked before buying. Maybe they are using their own standard cutlery. One of the many reasons why I never ever got a dishwasher. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

cos it's a minor detail that you probably wouldn't look at before purchase

tim

Reply to
tim...

What is there to look for? does it fit my space, what plumbing and drainage does it need, how much water and power does it use ,what type of cleaning agents does it use. Will it take what I want to fit in it.

It?s hardly a long list and for a minor detail appears to have caused some stress enough to bring it up on here, having a rant about it is fine but blaming designers for your lack of preparation is a poor excuse. The fault is yours. As NP suggested just get a third party basket or for DIY a suitable size Tupperware box and drill some holes in it. oh and leave the lid Off.

GH

Reply to
Marland

The existence of such things suggest there's a known issue with originals being shit.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

While "checking it out" would highlight any immediate showstoppers, it won't flush out any ongoing niggles that can last the life of the item.

Our car, for example. Test drive was great, all boxes ticked for comfort, accessiblity and storage. However the sat-nav and certain "features" of the ICE system only started being an annoyance a few weeks in. And they are going to be there till the car goes back - 2 years time. So 5 years of my going on about the ****ing sat nav,

Reply to
Jethro_uk

everything about modern dishwashers is shit.

The pumps break, the plastic bits break, the whirly bits don't and the spray bars get clogged

It;s only a fiver..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

took me ages to find a cutlery tray washer. Most important feature

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As long as it has compartments (ours has eight) and you ensure that you don't put two spoons of the same size in the same compartment, there's usually no problem. You *can* put mutliple spoons in one, as long as there ares enough other items to prevent them "spooning".

Ours previous one had slide-over slotted lids - we never used them.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

And, it's a "minor detail" we certainly *did* look at before purchase. Although you have to know such things exist (see post from a day or so ago). Our Wren Kitchens design consultant didn't know, for example.

The trouble with cutlery baskets is:

1) lidless - all the cuttles are in contact with each other and don't necessarily get washed properly. 2) lidfull - the lid has slots for the cutlery items instead of round holes. So a knife goes in the slot and when you go to pull it out later, it has rotated a bit and won't come out of the slot easily. If you're *really* lucky, you pull the lid off with the knife and spray clean cutlery all over the floor.
Reply to
Tim Streater

All pretty standard!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Actually I made that bit up :-)

But nonetheless, I used to find trying to unload the cutlery basket a pain in the dong and quite often pulled the lid off just because a knife blade was a bit big for the slot.

The cutlery tray, just under the roof of the d/w, is a vast improvement.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Nope, just that not everyone wants the same thing in cutlery basket and there are very few third party cutlery baskets anyway, most of them are just replacement for the original of a different model of dishwasher.

Reply to
Jac Brown