Dishwasher and dog

I've owned a piece of crap Maytag dishwasher for just over a year. I've had 4 service calls so far because it doesn't clean well. I leave residue on dishes -- particularly on glasses on top shelf.

Each time the service man found dog hair in the filter that covers the grinder. He says that's to blame. It makes no sense to me. Yes we have a hairy dog but we aren't the only ones who do. So I'm left with the following questions.

  1. Why do that have a very fine filter BEFORE the grinder. It's so small that nothing of substance could ever be ground.

  1. Would it hurt to remove the filter? What's the worst that could happen -- the impeller gets matted up with hair?

  2. Has anyone else had this problem.

  1. Is their a cure other than just getting rid of it -- the dishwasher, not the dog.

I see no reason to wash dishes BEFORE putting them in the dishwasher go get everything off of them that's bigger than a grain of sand.

Reply to
Pat

Residue is from water quality, try different soaps or a softner. Dogs should not be washed in the dishwasher, plates should not go on the floor and should be rinsed of food and dog hair first. How do you get hair in a dishwasher, I have 3 that shed like falling leaves and never had that issue.

Reply to
ransley

In the dishwashers I've seen, the filter is there to filter the water while it's being recirculated, collecting any particles. Then, when the pump out begins, water is drawn from BEFORE the filter, taking whatever collected there and sending it out through the grinder.

I would think hair could present a problem, because unlike the expected food particles, it might get embedded in the filter so it won't easily wash out. I guess I'm wondering how any significant amount of dog hair can get in there to begin with. If you're putting dog feeding dishes in there, the obvious solution is to wash those by hand.

Have you called the Maytag helpline to ask them?

Reply to
trader4

i can't imagine how the rest of the house looks if your actually getting DOG HAIR in the dishwasher. Jeeeezzzeee.... shave that MF!!

Steve Barker DLT

Gotta be a troll. Imagine putting dishes with dog hair on them in dishwasher. There's a joke about the dog called Cold Water, where old man said dishes were washed by cold water.

Reply to
Frank

"Frank" wrote

I'm sure it is a troll.

Reply to
cshenk

quoted text -

Better yet Nair Hair Remover, instant Hairless dog.

Reply to
ransley

| I've been on-and-off | hold for about an hour with Maytag. They say you should completely | rinse EVERY dish that goes in the dishwasher.

This is the kind of thing you should ask to get in writing... so you can sell it to the competition for their advertising campaigns...

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

I thought it was Maytag that has a commercial where they put a chocolate cake and a frozen pizza in the dishwasher, and the glasses come out spotless.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Ewww, gross. Your problem is that you're not rinsing the dishes, not that your dishwasher is not performing properly.

What "gross"?

If I had a dishwasher that needed rinsed dishes I'd get a new one. My

2000-ish whirlpool isn't quite as 'hungry' as my 1970's Kenmore was- but I've seen it eat lots of solubles like mashed potatoes, squash, etc.

Jim [btw- also have a very 'sheddy' dog and never saw any dog hair in the dishwasher. And I wash his dishes in there.]

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

1-

The trouble is dog hair is not soluble in water, or any common household chemical, for that matter. I would just rinse dishes that were around the dog to get any loose hair off before putting them in ths dishwasher. I don't see how hair could getinto the machine unless the dog crawls in at night to find a nice warm dark place to sleep.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Um, is the filter that's getting clogged something he could just take care of himself, say, weekly?

As for pre-rinsing the manual says nothing about that except if you don't plan to wash for a long time you should run a rinse cycle on the machine. All it says is:

"Remove leftover food, bones, toothpicks and other hard items from the dishes. Remove labels from containers before washing."

This is from this manual. Not the most expensive Maytag.

Steve Kraus

I'm sure you tried this already, but I usually run the faucet till hot water comes out, then fire up the dishwasher. We have two shedding pooches, and haven't had a problem with our mid-level Maytag.

Reply to
mark

Pat, Pat, Pat. Do we gotta tell you everything? Stick your bald head in there. Close the door. Turn it on, but don't forget the soap and stuff to make the dishes shiny. Your head bald head will act like a magnet and take the hair out instantly.

Geez.

Steve

BTW, you only have one more chance to actually ask a relevant question, or I will personally stick you in MY dishwasher and leave you there.

Reply to
SteveB

I'm sure I'm not a troll and you're a moron. I've been on-and-off hold for about an hour with Maytag. They say you should completely rinse EVERY dish that goes in the dishwasher. So why bother to have the darn thing?

We've had dogs for 30+ year and never had a problem with the DW and hair. Nor have I ever heard of anyone else with that problem. I can only imagine your house is a hairy mess or you get a slobbering hairy dog lick the plates clean first and hair sticking on them. Thank you for not inviting me for dinner at your place. Find the real problem and quit blaming Maytag.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

bullshit. i've never (and will never) wash a dish before putting it in a dishwasher. If you're going to do that, you might just as well dry it and put it away.

Steve Barker DLT

The OP should quit sticking his hairy butt into the machine.

Reply to
StepfanKing

Thank you. At least I dont have dog hair clogs in my dishwasher and i have a dog and a cat (medium to long hair) and have had cats for neigh on 20 years now (long hairs) as well as maytags for diswashers. I do not pre-rinse my dishes unless its pet bowl stuff.

Reply to
cshenk

The last repairman who looked at my very old Kitchen Aid (ancient..they don't make them like that one anymore) told me to always rinse the dishes off regardless of the brand or model. He said there is not a dishwasher on the market that can handle washing the dishes and eliminating the food too.

I replaced the KA with a cheap GE (on his advice) and it's works perfectly.

BTW: We only replaced the KA because the parts are getting expensive and hard to find. The new KA's are not the same. They are good but not worth the money.

We always pre-clean and use that time to get the water hot for the washer.

We have soft water too and I think that helps too.

How in the world someone gets dog hair in their dw is beyond me??!!

Olddog

Reply to
olddog