how to make dishwasher rack slide smoothly?

Hi all,

I've got a GE POS dishwasher in my house, about 2.5 years old. Since new (previous owners installed it just before we bought house) I've hated it for two reasons. 1) the door/hinges are so flimsy that they will go out of alignment after a while, meaning that the door won't close smoothly as the plastic liner will be rubbing on the tub, so you have to grab ahold of it and twist it back into shape so that it will close smoothly for another couple weeks. Not sure that anything can be done about this save for buying another dishwasher, which I'd like to do someday... 2) the upper rack has a lot of friction in its slides, such that when you're pushing it back in it will suddenly come to a halt about 1/2 way in, causing all your glasses to fall over etc.

What can I use to possibly lubricate these glides so that this won't happen? I thought maybe silicone might not get washed off, but spray silicone really didn't do anything noticeable at all.

Or... should I just buy a new dishwasher? Who makes a GOOD one? One that won't make me cuss at it for being such a flimsy, noisy, obviously cheaply built POS?

thanks

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

If the rack stops suddenly, I'd think a misalignment is more of a cause than lack of lube. Maybe some worn plastic guides. Given the caustic nature of the DW detergent, I doubt any lube would hold up.

I've had nothing but Kitchen Aid for the last 35 years in two different houses. We had a Hotpoint when we moved in here, but got rid of it after about a year. Last one we bought a couple of years ago. Bosch does a good job, but the dealer no longer shows them because of too many service call. Whirlpool is my second choice. Maytag has three rack, but I've heard they are not a totally practical configuration. Meantime, the KA gives us perfectly clean dishes every time. Glasses just sparkle when they come out, especially my Kolsch beer glasses.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My JennAire is going on 18 years. It come with the (new construction) house. I have been focusing on Whirlpool brand appliances for now, Bosch is good too. Gotta keep in mind that brand quality can drastically change over time. You may need to clean the glides and inspect for damage. I used to know a woman that violently shook her dishwashing rack to speed air drying--her rack doesn't move as easy as before.

Reply to
Phisherman

It's always been like this, since new... worse lately though. Broke a glass the other day, that pissed me off.

Maybe I should just shop for a new one. I remember my parents had an old Maytag in their house (which was built just before I was born) and it lasted until just before they moved out, so that would be well over

10 years. Heavy sturdy bastard too. Is their quality still where it was?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Nate Nagel wrote: ...

I hear not so much... :(

We have a very old GE that is satisfactory--not perfect, but ok. Given our very hard water, I suspect none would fare much better.

The problem you're having w/ a newer one isn't--the racks roll on rollers that are quite functional and the overall construction is adequately sturdy.

Again, I hear new GE-branded (particularly since the divestiture) aren't what they were, either. Nobody in town carries GE any longer which I suppose is telling.

--

Reply to
dpb

Current Maytag stuff is garbage. It's at the bottom of the Consumer Reports appliance reliability surveys for most kinds of appliances. We have Maytag washer (fixed several times) dryer (fixed once) and a dishwasher that while it hasn't been fixed, doesn't do a very good job washing dishes.

Reply to
Ricky Bobby