New Product

Went to my local Harbor Freight "parking lot sale" this morning (it was held inside the store, partly because of the weather, but mainly because the jerkwater town in which it is located [Sugar Land, Texas] doesn't allow parking lot sales because they sully the ambiance and patina of the town and people milling about buying things is vaguely unsettling).

Anyway, HF is now selling a fill-it-yourself aerosol spray can

for (reg) $7.99 (sale price is less).

You put whatever you want to spray in the can (paint, mustard, deer urine, etc.), and add air through a bicycle-type air inlet - either from a compressor or hand pump (90psi max) and you're good to go.

I got one and may use it someday. When I do, I'll report the results. I also bought a 1/3-sheet electric sander for $19.99, which I WILL used today. I've got to remove about 87,000 bumps from sheetrock texture in advance of covering the wall (13x8) with a mural.

Reply to
HeyBub

Been selling almost the same thing (glass jar and air can) for $4 for years - HD, paint stores

Reply to
norminn

I bought a couple of those 25 years ago. One was from HF. I think I used them for cleaners and lubricants. I found them a waste of money.

You need a use where it's worth the expense and trouble. It has to be a fluid that won't corrode or gum up the spray can, and it can't have any dirt.

A finger-powered spray bottle is more practical because it can be cleaned and the spray adjusted. Unfortunately, the pump can wear out quickly, and you can get blisters if you spray much. My favorite now is the small plastic pump-up sprayer, maybe a quart.

Reply to
E Z Peaces

Isn't just having a Harbor Freight going to sully the ambiance?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I recycle the hand-pump spray containers from shower spray, cleaners, etc. No HF, no compressor, no money needed. Now tell me about a tool NOT "Made in China."

Reply to
Phisherman

I bought a sprayer from Grainger about 20 years ago like this one:

I can fill it with kerosene, light the spray and get a nice big fireball. It's amazing.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I also stopped at Lowes for some paint. I noticed they had a package of four

2" foam brushes for $2.95. Admittedly, I don't know whether they were made in China, but I had just picked up a pack of HF foam brushes made in China, 12 for 88¢ (4 of them were 2").

Besides, if the item says "Made in China" it may very well have been made in Nationalist China (the good Chinese).

I prefer products made in Bangladesh or Sri Lanka. The small hands of the child workers are better suited to precision fittings.

Reply to
HeyBub

Those refillable aerosol cans been around as long as I can remember (thirty years). Clever idea, for sure. I'd love to hear how it works out.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

About twenty years ago, I ordered a galon of WD-40 and a pump sprayer from a catalog house. Catalog shows very clearly a metal can and a metal sprayer. Both arrived plastic. But, they did work reasonably well.

In my tool box, I have a can of Kmart K-50 which I bought in

1993. As you can tell, I don't use much of it. Still sprays fine, and still stinks the same. I like the new WD with the straw that tips up. If you leave the straw down, you get a spray, but not as concentrated. Really need dispenser.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

-snip-

[i think you meant
the $12 one at

I think I got the $12 one for about $5 on sale.

-snip-

I complained on this newsgroup a few months ago about the pump sprayers that I used to keep WD40 or PBblaster in. Someone suggested one of these and I remembered I had it in the garage. Filled it 1/2 full of PBblaster & pumped up to 90lbs or thereabouts.

I checked the date. That was in November. [Thanks to 'The Daring Dufas' for the reminder] The can has been used several times, last time was yesterday. It is in an unheated garage in upstate NY so it hasn't been above freezing much since November. No leaks and it still works fine.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Don't confuse "ease of use" with "simply having." I actually had the following conversation with one of my customers from Massachusetts:

Carol: "What did you see at this gun show?" Me: "I was surprised at the number of crew-served weapons being sold." Carol: "What's a 'crew-served' weapon?" Me: "Uh, one that takes more than one person to operate it, like a machine gun or tank." Carol: "What would someone do with one of those?" Me: "Uh, nothing. Just having one is the goal." Carol: "Don't LIE to me! They have to have SOME reason!" ... Me: "Okay, I can tell you. We're stocking up for the revolution." Carol: "I KNEW IT ! ! !"

However, in the instant case, this re-fillable aerosol container will make applying preservative to my 81mm mortar quite a bit easier.

Reply to
HeyBub

We separated from England, account of distant governemnt "taxation without representation", endless taxes like stamp tax, and disregard of personal liberties. Search and siezure, that kind of thing. When we have deficit spending, unresponsive government, elected reps calling themselves "our nation's leaders", taxation without representation, and property and money siezure (like stimulus bills that spend amazing ammounts of money with no visible source of support), and laws like gun control that's prohibited by the Constituion, then we might be close to revolution. But, not until then.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You've simply got to understand the rationale behind the "stimulus bill." It's not very complicated, but you've got to follow along.

  1. We start with Liberals having a foundational philosophy about equality. Anything that promotes equality - in any realm - is good.
  2. Liberals also believe the amount of wealth in a nation is fixed and this wealth is almost always badly distributed. This maldistribution leads to inequality and must be rectified.
  3. By moving the tax burden toward those with more wealth - and simultaneously providing more to those that don't pay taxes - liberals push the pendulum towards the desired goal.
  4. By increasing the debt beyond all reason, the liberals guarantee that the wealthy will continue, perhaps for generations, to have their resources drained.

As an aside, conservatives tend to believe wealth can be created. Unless, of course, the innovators go John Galt.

Reply to
HeyBub