Dishwasher grinder motor- test?

I've got a Whirlpool GU1200XTLT0 dishwasher that has a faulty grinder.

The screen was clogged & I cleaned it. 2 washes later it wasn't cleaning & I pulled it and cleaned it again. I thought that it could be coincidence, so I put it all back together.

Now it is clogged again. [2 washes seems to be the limit.]

I thought maybe the grinder itself could be malfunctioning, but it looks fine. [this is the grinder assembly;

I can turn the motor shaft by hand, but there seems to be a bit more resistance than I expected. Is there an easy way to test that motor without pulling it?

Is there something else I should check before I go through the acrobatics to get that motor out?

Thanks- Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

When I went to pull it out from under the counter I remembered how it had wheels and it was a *very* easy process to get it out, tip it over, and work on the bottom side.

It turns out that the grinder [chopper] was good, and the motor was good. But the gears/cogs on the impeller were stripped off. [Curse the engineer that put the fragile plastic on the hard to get at side of this. If the chopper shaft was soft plastic and the impeller side was nylon, I would have been able to do this job in 20 minutes instead of an hour and a half.

But then to add insult to injury, Whirlpool replaced my 3 yr old made in Mexico motor with a made in China motor. And they changed the size of the shaft. The guys at the parts store couldn't believe it. They couldn't find any other part number for the impeller, so they gave me the wholesale price on a new motor with impeller attached. [This might explain why repairclinic.com doesn't seem to list the impeller.]

So instead of a $20 repair and one trip to the parts store- an hour round trip- it was $100 and 2 trips to the store.

But at least I don't have to go dishwasher shopping or get dishpan hands.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht