Can a washer timer motor be repaired?

Hi all,

I have a GE washer with this timer assembly:

The motor in this beast appears to be dead. Has anyone tried repairing it? Can it be substituted with a similar motor (there are cheaper assemblies with similar motors)? Also, is there a place preferably in Canada where I could order a motor alone?

Thanks, /MM

Reply to
MM

Anything is possible.

It's not likely to be practical.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Hi,

Probably not ( other than maybe a used dealer ). No parts for the parts. But there are places that you can send the timer away to have it rebuilt which normally costs much less than a new timer. Check your local parts depot or service shop for this service.

jeff Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

which normally costs much less than a new timer.

Reply to
Rob Mills

Hi, Exhange for a rebuilt timer or if motor is only thing bad, then buy a replacement. Make sure it turns same way as old one. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Buy the replacement. Had the same item broken in my sister's washer. The timer gear teeth are made of bakelite of some hard plastic. Some of the teeth were stripped and that caused the motor to fail, etc. It a lot less hassle and cheaper just to replace the assembly.

Reply to
PaPaPeng
041108 1520 - MM posted:

Years back, Synchron made a motor similar to the one you are dealing with. The motor was usually mounted on a gear box which substantially lowered the gear ratio, maybe 60 to 1 -- that would be 60 revolutions of the motor to 1 revolution of the output of the gearbox. The motor had very little torque by itself, and the cover could be removed to examine the rotor. I found a motor in a water valve for a hot water heating system one time that had a steel chip -- just a sliver -- stuck in the rotor, which stopped the rotor from turning. After removing this sliver, the motor continued to run as previously. I don't know how the sliver got into the rotor. Someone must have removed the cover from the motor at one time and somehow the sliver got into it. Maybe you could take the cover off the motor you are dealing with, if that is possible. See if the rotor can spin freely. Apply the indicated voltage to the leads and see what happens. Those motors can last a long time, even when stalled.

Reply to
indago