Do Boeing hand-make aeroplanes?

Look at this photo of a Boeing 737 engine:

Notice the rivets (or whatever they are - the dots around the silver end to the engine) are not in a straight line! A machine would have them perfectly aligned.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

It is probably that they don't want a straight line that might peel open like a zipper.

Reply to
gfretwell

It's probably a camera angle thing. Boeing doesn't make the engines anyway and over the years with overhauls and such, who knows who's work you're looking at. It could be a Rolls Royce engine. Does RR make them by hand?

Reply to
trader_4

A slightly random layout will reduce the chances of some sort of vibration starting up in response to (for example) engine vibration at a particular frequency.

I don't suppose this is the reason but it's the excuse I use when I end up with fixings like this! :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

I think it is deliberate too. We do not know what it attached to under those particular rivets and it may be a joint.

Reply to
Frank

Ah, like you don't put screws in line in wood incase of a split? Well in that case they aren't far enough off the line.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Bollocks, look again.

But we're looking at part of the plane bodywork, the engine is inside.

Probably, it's British, we don't do robots yet.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

The cover ring is not symetrical .. it's bigger at the bottom John T.

Reply to
hubops

James Wilkinson Sword posted for all of us...

I'm sure the rivets are exactly where the designers want them. Many considerations under the skin.

Reply to
Tekkie®

If the rivets were made in Glasgow the plane will crash .......

Reply to
J1MBO ...

On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 20:20:13 +0000, Chris Green coalesced the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension...

When I was at school we visited an aircraft factory a possible career path. I only remember two things, one was a cordoned off area where we were told a secret process was undertaken, something to do with putting a honeycomb texture into an alloy, and the other was a guy on a pair of step ladders drilling into a fuselage with a power drill "freehand" with no apparent plan or measure.

Reply to
Graham.

If it was an Airbust you could understand it ......

Reply to
J1MBO ...

Indeed it is. That would explain the two lines of dots not being parallel. But I'm talking about the wiggle as you follow the forwardmost line of dots.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

It might account for the two lines not being parallel, but not for the wiggle along the forwardmost line.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 21:15:50 -0000, Tekkie=AE wrote= :

end to the engine) are not in a straight line! A machine would have the= m perfectly aligned.

The forwardmost line randomly wiggles about.

-- =

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary,= and those who don't.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

?
Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

never mind....

Reply to
J1MBO ...

Bet it is.

But you don?t have robots making yours.

Reply to
Rod Speed

The only possible reference I can think of is the Titanic, and that was Irish.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

e:

end to the engine) are not in a straight line! A machine would have th= em perfectly aligned.

The forwardmost line of rivets is not straight, at all.

-- =

Before Murphy's Law, there was IPOIO, the innate perversity of inanimate= objects. Inanimate objects move when nobody is looking.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword