Cadovius Royal System and similar designs

This is the Royal System: <
http://www.designaddict.com/cdn/farfuture/OmIL0ga5LXfqyiLpsfF993UAo-2eM4sXBoHyif6ph4Q/mtime:1487952511/sites/default/files/buyandsell/2016/09/621177-poul-cadovius-royal-system-teak.jpg

It's a modular, wall-mounted shelving system in teak, first created in the late 1940s by Poul Cadovius.
The basic design, of uprights from which shelves are hung with brass supports is also used in other systems, which I think were based on the Royal System.
There's the Randers Møbelfabrik PS System, by Preben Sørensen: <
https://cdn1.pamono.com/p/z/8/4/84391_uS762R3bZh/danish-wall-unit-ps-system-with-cabinets-drawers-and-shelves-for-randers-mobelfabrik-1960s-6.jpg .

And Sven Ellekaer's design for Albert Hansen <
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/09/f1/0c/09f10ca99518efa03bc965223ee7dd08.jpg .

Any others from the same era?
I noticed that now even IKEA are doing their version: <http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/collections/svalnäs/>. It looks OK, but frankly bamboo doesn't can't match teak.
And a company is making the Royal System (sort of, they've messed it about a bit) again: <http://www.dk3.dk/products/storage/royal-system ®.aspx>.
Daniele
On 08/01/2018 21:27, D.M. Procida wrote:

Apart from being mechanically unsound and looking naff - what are the advantages?

<http://www.designaddict.com/cdn/farfuture/OmIL0ga5LXfqyiLpsfF993UAo-2eM 4sXBoHyif6ph4Q/mtime:1487952511/sites/default/files/buyandsell/2016/09/6 21177-poul-cadovius-royal-system-teak.jpg>

I find the design quite beautiful. I love teak, and that Danish modernist design.
What makes you doubt their strength? A column of those shelves will happily take 100+ kg, though most people use them for books and small objects, not their anvil collections.
Daniele

What's wrong with it are the metal support hangers whose function is obvious but which don't blend in with the rest of the design. They're made of metal and have a rounded angle unlike the rest of the design which is made of teak and is all right angles.
Because of the impossibility of merging the hangers seamlessly into the design this would always be a poor compromise.
Similarly because the hangers will need to divide the top surface of the shelf at regular intervals into compartments unlike Spur and similar which are hidden underneath, this poses a potential limitation on the way items can be arranged on the shelves. Rows of books for instance would have gaps at regular intervals to accommodate the pairs of hangers, which is far from ideal.
A classy solution insistent on teak throughout would have concealed metal supports in both uprights and shelves offering unbroken lengths of shelving
Cheap versions using rope as hangers look no worse and at least offer the consolation of looking utilitarian on purpose
michael adams
On 09/01/2018 18:53, michael adams wrote:

+1. Also I think they look very dated.
message wrote:

I don’t, the mechanically unsound approach puts me off.

I do too, but mechanically unsound puts me right off.

The way the rod support for the shelf is done.

Sure, but where the rod support attaches wont.

I doubt it would survive being fully loaded books.

Have you actually seen these shelves? I mean, other than just now on the web?
Daniele
message wrote:

Yep.

In some circumstances having the floor clear may make it easier to run a vacuum around and avoid dust that builds up under floor standing furniture which could be important for people with dust allergies, in real life it would probably end up with something put there.
Is it really mechanically unsound for the job if the wall is strong enough? Doesn't seem too different from thousands of other similar arrangements from book shelves to viewing spots for tourists on the side of mountains.
Looking Naff, I've seen worse, I've seen better. some like the industrial look of dexion type systems or the shoe shop look from Spur and derivatives while others seem to like the thin coated with foil MDF offerings from Ikea etc.
G.Harman

Yes, but those with dust allergys could avoid doing that.

Yes, the rod supports for the shelves are.

I prefer the other approach of a long rectangular frame with dexion 25mm black square slotted tube verticals with welded horizontals at the to and bottom and half way down. That stands on the floor and is bolted to the wall too.
Aluminium flats go in the slots and the shelves sit on the aluminium flats.
Doesn't look anything like as elegant, but my bookshelves are completely full of books so all you see is the book spines, the front dexion verticals and the shelf edges.
I'm not into displaying small objects. The Royal system looks a lot better for those.

Those are completely different, nothing like as sparse a design.

Yeah, that's certainly a taste thing.

I do prefer solid timber shelves, but they arent cheap.
On Monday, 8 January 2018 21:27:23 UTC, D.M. Procida wrote:

Sort of thing you might find in a cheap hotel.
On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 22:27:18 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@apple-juice.co.uk (D.M. Procida) coalesced the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension...

In the 1950s we were too busy with postwar austerity to bother with avavant garde Scandinavian furniture designers.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%