Royal Paulownia tree

Hi Y'all,

Found a catalog ad for a Royal Paulownia tree for $4.99. Ad states it can grow roof high in one year. (Does this seem legit?)

Is this tree in the same family as the Royal Poinciana.

I livein west central Florida.

Y'all have helped me before.

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
Bill

No.

The Pawlonia is a giant weed, but that sort of growth would be pushing the envelope.

For that price you will get a pretty small plant, and it won't take off for a year or two.

Reply to
Bill Spohn

Its a weed tree that you don't want to deliberately plant in your yard no matter how cheap it is.

Reply to
Cereus-validus

It's a weed. Wait a couple of weeks and you'll have lots of them popping up in your lawn and garden from your neighbors.

zhan

Reply to
zhanataya

I have seen Paulownia do 6-8' in one year after it had established a root system...but why would you want this darned thing> It is flowery - true - but the wood is weaker than balsa, it is very short lived, it makes a hell of a mess, and it is an invasive exotic.

Reply to
Mike LaMana

I bought a Paulownia at (of all places) Home Depot. It is a Paulownia kawakamii. It was 2 feet tall when I bought it. The first year it grew 8 feet, this is it's second year (third growing season) and it is about 20 feet tall. These are very fast growning trees, and they are actually also hardwood.

are two URL's with the info on them.

Reply to
escapee

Reply to
escapee

Hi Bill

Not sure about the "weed" issue! I guess what you are talking about are a Paulownia tormentosa (syn. P. imperialis) and definatley not related to Poinciana! This is a tree from China growing up to 50ft tall - and yes indeed wery farst the first years, I would say up to

5-6ft the first year. But it does not send out runners and it does not flower the first years! So it will deffinately not pop up in your lawn the first years - what happens when it do flower and set seed i don't know though! I think the other guys have an other plant in mind! best wishes
Reply to
Dr_B_J

It can actually put on upto 10-12' feet annually when established (it is often cooppiced each year to maintain a smaller size and increase foliage production) and is not the slightest bit invasive in many cooler parts of the country where the seeds are unable to ripen. And while it can colonize areas, it demures to hardier competition in time, so should not be considered a threatening exotic species. The wood is soft and can be brittle when green but is hard and strong once dried and is extremely valuable for furniture making and construction purposes, specially in Asia where it orginated and where other timber sources are in short supply.

No relation to poinciana.

- gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

Dr_B snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

This is a tree from China growing up to 50ft

seems to be a weed in eastern wet summer climates

Reply to
Gardñ