tree question.

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can advise me on wether or not a tree that has had a piece of wire wrapped around its base for some years will continue to grow properly - or not. Currently the tree has a - commonly found

- while plastic covered loop of wire wrapped around it near the base. This wire has obviously been there for some years since the tree has 'overflowed' the loop ie. the width of the tree is now greater than that of the loop - but it is obvious where the loop of wire is situated as the bark bends in at that point.

I believe the tree is a birch.

My concern is that the loop is restricting the flow of water from the roots upwards - and although at this time there is no obvious problem

- can/will any symptoms show in the future?

thanks

Reply to
lb

It will negatively effect the tree in some way, tho' probably not kill it outright. It does malform the internal plumbing of the trees vascular system - true - in time the tree will completely oergrow it reform these vascular connections to some degree. In some species this sort of insult seems less problematic - i.e. London plane, some oaks, some hard pines. In others such as birch, dogwoods, white pines, maples this can be the start of a big problem. The issue is that for years the tree is not only hobbled by poor circulation (especially problematic when the ligature is and the main trunk near the ground), but that it is also open to infection and infiltration, it is exuding rich sap to attract saprophytes than can become pathogens, and it attracts insects that usually are not attracted.

I would remove the wire ASAP even if you have to use a needle-nose snipper and take it out in pieces.

Reply to
Mike LaMana

The tree have been weakened by the wire. If there is concern of the tree falling and causing damage, cut it down. Otherwise, wait and see. This reminds me about how some folks use trees to install clothes lines.

Reply to
Phisherman

excellant! - you guessed it - it is indeed an old clothes line.

okay, thanks for the advice Mike and Phisherman.

the wire is near the base (1.5m) - i'll attempt to cut it out as suggested and hope for the best ...especially good to hear that the tree can recover the damage to some degree - well hopefully :)

thanks again,

Reply to
lb

Reply to