Guanabana Tree (& fruit) and Ear Trees

We recently visited a nature park here in west central Florida. There was a really neat tree with some strange looking fruit that we found later appeared to be a type of guanabana tree. The fruit was sort of like a mango, pulpy and yellow inside (didn't try to eat any of them, we at a park), sort of symetric egg shaped about 6" long and small pointed spikes growing in all directions. From one of the fruits on the ground and broken open, I snagged several of the seeds. We looked it up and these fruits and trees have a lot of great qualities and they are tropical so well suited for west central Gulf Coast life. What we were wondering is what the best way to germinate/grow the seeds and start some trees of our own? And we nailed it as a guanabana tree but the strange thing is everything we could find shows the seeds to be dark brown. These seeds are yellow and look almost like corn kernels. Anyone familiar with the different variations of this tree?

We also have some ear tree seeds we would also like to grow. And we're not all up on the variations of this as the one we had removed from our front yard had an ear shaped seed pod and I don't recall the tree having very prominent flowers. Just down the road are some similar looking trees with bright red flowers but the seed pods look like gigantic snap pea pods only woody and dark brown, about a foot long. And then we saw some others that look a lot like that with yellow flowers and tiny thin seed pods.

Does anyone have a good source for finding what variations of the ear tree family are? And any value in the seeds pods? Before we had the big one taken down we collected a whole shopping bag full of seed pods. Beautiful tree, a shame it happened to take root too close to the foundation of our home. Hopefully the tiny offspring growing in the middle of our front yard will be as spectacular. :O)

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
infiniteMPG

Maybe one of these two?

first one seems like a closer match to your description of the fruit). Those are the two which seem to be in my field guide to Florida trees, anyway.

Meaning this one:

If so, it is said to be relatively easy to grow from seed (according to the first of those pages).

You might need to seek out some reasources in Florida (native plant society, garden club, etc). It is really a different climate (in terms of what grows there naturally, or can grow there), even compared with Georgia or South Carolina. My tree book has pages and pages just for Florida.

Reply to
Jim Kingdon

When you find your tree here are some care suggestions.

Reply to
symplastless