Fruit Trees

I am in the throes of replanting 4 existing 5/6 feet high fruit tree

which will form part of an 8 tree orchard, I would be very grateful fo advice on the additional 4 trees which I intend to purchase . The trees which will be replanted are, Apple,Pear, Apricot and Plum, was tempted to go for , Grape, Peach,Cherry and Blackberry, are thes only bush type or can you get a type which would be a climber, say ont a stout stake. Please excuse my ignorance but I am experimenting in my older age Very important I live in the North West of England,however we have ove the past couple of years enjoyed like other places a change in climat

-- Gringo

Reply to
Gringo

Grape is a vine and climbs, blackberries are brambles, some climb, some are upright. All the rest are fruit trees. Many of which require a pollenator. HTH

George

Reply to
George Shirley

I would strongly recommend you make certain you have at least two of each type of tree for pollination. I like cherry trees. If you want to plant bushes, consider varieties of Blueberry (again you will want two of each variety for pollination). You can purchase varieties of Blueberry that will bear fruit at different times of the season. With Blueberries, you need bird netting so that you don't share the berries with the birds.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

Actually, this is not a good rule to follow. For good pollination, it is better to have a suitable variety which is not of the same type. This will work better than two trees of the same variety. Some people claim two identical tree varieties work better than one, others not, but genearly going with different varieties will give the best effect. Since the original postor has limited space, he would benefit more from a complete mix of varietites. He has to be careful in his selections however, as some fruit trees are not pollinators for others. It takes a bit of research.

I would however recommend some kind of dwarfing tree, as it is much easier to maintain, yields fruit sooner, and generally gives plenty of fruit, especially for one person. Seems like the grapes and/or blackberries don't need an orchard setting and can be planted alongside his house, garage, etc. If he has four nice fruit bearing trees, I would not take them out, unless the varieties are not suitable for him.

Sherwin D.

Reply to
sherwindu