Fish odor in my Central Florida yard/gaden

Hi, I posted here long ago just prior to moving home to Floirda. I have come here to visit this site but haven't posted since then. I need help. I live in Central Florida near Lake Weir, in the middle of the state between the Gulf and Ocean. I have very dry sandy soil, huge Oak trees therefore 80 percent shade. No matter how much rain we get I never have standing water. I have sandy soil and live on a slight angle so the water drains toward the lake. Anyway, of late I have noticed a fishy odor that I cannot seem to identify. I have 3 dogs so that was my first clue. One of them came in smelling fishy and I determined the remains of a fish in the yard. My theory ? Perhaps an Osprey snatched it from the lake and ate it in a Pine Tree in my back yard....no more fish remains and still that vague odor. That had never happened before and I don't know that to be true (My Osprey theory) I noticed a couple Earthworms in the large container of water I keep outside for the dogs and thought perhaps that was the problem (that had never happened before) as I have a fisherman's paradise of beds of worms in the Oak leaves in the front yard. I live within sight of the Lake. I do not have access it is not as if fish would get washed ashore from where I live. I have also noticed an abundance of snails suddenly. They are everywhere, eating my plants, crawling up the house and windows. I do not claim to be an ace gardener. My yard is mainly sand with a few sprigs of grass and piles of damp leaves. Most plants that I grow successfully are in containers. Well, I hope I gave you enough info for a diagnosis and I hope I did not ramble on too long...When I open my door for a split second I get that waft of fish or perhaps it is just a sour smell that I am confusing with a fish odor?? Finally, it is not my dogs sneaking out and going down to the lake and rolling in fish remains. (smile) We have been there, done that, before I fixed the fence after first moving here.... Does anyone have any ideas? I am tired of 3 stinking dogs and curious about what is causing it. Thanks for reading thru this. I thank you in advance for any help I can get.

Be Free, Judy

Reply to
Judith Althouse

PS I live in Zone 9 and we are about to get more rain (lots) Tropical storm Katrina, somehow I think my mess/odor is water/snail related...Please Help!!!! Thanks to all

Be Free, Judy

Reply to
Judith Althouse