Disc Brakes

Yes.

How do I know? Well, I was pretty well blackmailed. They took the pads out, then told me I needed new discs at manufacturer prices, and refused to reassemble them.

These are the same people who just took 14 hours to diagnose and fix a failed fuel pump (should have been under half that I gather...) and left it with a non-working cigar lighter. Which is a PITA as I run my satnav off it.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I went over to Bangor on the A5 a few years back, in a Cavalier SRi, with the uprated brakes. Shortly afterwards I noticed a vibration under braking... when it happened again after I went back I decided to use the engine a bit more over the Welsh mountains.

Brakes aren't _that_ much better than they were then.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I think they do, they're on the public MOT check website too.

Reply to
Andy Burns

My commute has a 200ft descent with a 2nd gear bend at the bottom. I lose no significant speed on the descent, regardless of what speed I start at the top. ICBA to arrive at the top at 20 so as not to brake at the bottom.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Our local council vehicle maintenance depot used to do this and I used it regularly - despite it only being open during work hours on weekdays. Then the council put the maintenance out to tender and suddenly the new company started doing repairs on cars as well, which rather defeated the object of going there.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Is that somewhere else you hardly ever go?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Depends on what you mean by 'then'. Try comparing the brakes on an old Jaguar with drum brakes against a modern one in a panic stop from top speed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I had a pad on my Renault 20 wear down to the backing, which made for a gentle run home. There was a monitoring wire which fed an indicator, but because it was on the easiest side to run the wire, it was also on the side of the caliper which wore least. :-(

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

but how can the tester read up what was said before if some do not appear on the next MOT??? ....

Reply to
Mobilohm ...

I suppose not, I have only driven about 1.6 million miles on motorways. Th way you keep contradicting what i say I can only assume you can't drive and are an foot on accelerator foot on brake idiot.

Reply to
dennis

There's a list of MOT results and advisories going back around 5 years on the history page. Which is separate from the confirmation page which merely confirms whether the vehicle has a current MOT and is taxed.

michael adams

michael adams

NY presented the following explanation :

Mine failed last week, after I had done a pre-MOT and fixed all doubtful items. Between my setting off and arrival at the test centre it snapped a two year old rear coil spring. A clean break, no rust creating a weak spot. I changed it the same day and the later retest / pass was free

I have been using the same test centre and same tester for 30+ years. He knows he will need to look hard to find anything I might have missed.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Wonder if it would vary according to LHD or RHD? More dust etc to the brake nearest the kerb?

But chances are one caliper was partially seized if one side wore down much sooner than the other. As you get plenty of warning on the side with the indicator.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's rather obvious you don't do your own car servicing, so very likely have no real idea how long pads etc last.

BTW, I'd suggest you try the M25 in rush hour if you think you rarely need brakes on a motorway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sorry, I wasn't quite clear. Both wheels were monitored, but only one pad on each.

As it seemed to me at the time, the pad on which the cylinder pressed directly had worn least. I reasoned that, without anything having seized, the mass of caliper probably acted to leave the other pad slightly more in contact with the disk when released.

I only had the car for a couple of years from new, not a lot of miles, but the first set of pads also took the disks very close to the scrapping limit. I was not particularly pleased.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Er, are you saying that when brake pads have sensor wires, only some of the pads and some of the wheels have those sensors? That makes the very big assumption that the pad with the wire happens to be the pad that wears first.

Reply to
NY

Sliding callipers are the spawn of the devil.

Should be banned :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On that car it was certainly the case.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I drove on the M6 passed brum in rush hour, virtually everyday for decades, the m25 is nothing. If you need to use your brakes a lot on a motorway you really aren't driving well.

Once you realise that jumping from lane to lane isn't going to get you more than a couple of hundred yards gain, if any, you can relax and smooth out the traffic flow rather than contributing to the problem.

You should try it sometime you might make a better driver and save wear on everybody's brake pads.

Reply to
dennis

I try very hard to slow down on a motorway by lifting off the power rather than by braking. But on a busy motorway that's not always possible. The car in front may not drive at a constant speed and may sometimes brake for no apparent reason. If you leave enough of a gap that you can adjust your speed purely on the accelerator without hitting the car ahead, someone will pull into it, so you will definitely have to brake until you have re-created a suitable gap ahead of you.

My wife drives *closer* to the car in front in busy traffic to prevent people pulling into the gap. I prefer to increase my gap to allow slowing down on the accelerator if the car ahead doesn't keep at a constant speed, and accept that people will sometimes pull into gaps that I wouldn't consider trying to fit into. Her way may get us there a bit sooner, but my way is far less stressful because you don't have to keep braking to adjust for every speed-change of the car ahead.

Reply to
NY