Why don't they make a garden hose puncture repair kit?

Here is my lousy rube goldberg where I've tried all the Home Depot brass and Harbor Freight plastic male:female hose connectors in the past.

I searched and found puncture repair tape but there's no way it will ever work when you look at the kind of pressure that is going on in that hose.

What I searched for is some kind of thick cladding that can be hose clamped over the wound, best in two long halves - but I couldn't find that anywhere.

The best I could come up with was that jerry rigged tube of plastic toothepaste cladding with a rubber bicycle tire tube underneath.

It has been working for an hour before it got dark but it looks like Arnold Swartzenegger's arm, as it's bulging out on both sides of the middle hose clamp like it wants to burst (and probably will).

Why can't they make a six inch long tube cut in half lengthwise that is semi-elastic but firm with strong cladding that clamps over the hole without having to cut the rubber garden hose in half at the wear point?

Reply to
Andrew

Have you seen this repair kit:

or perhaps a male and a female hose end connected together ?

retired1

Pick one of those garden hose repair kit:

invalid unparseable

retired1 wrote on Thu, 30 Nov 2023 21:52:35 -0500 :

Thanks for the links but I've tried every one of those multiple times. There probably isn't a repair kit in any box store that I haven't tried.

All require you to CUT the hose in half (except the non-sticky tapes). The repair tapes are advertised as 'self fusing' but will they work?

Self-Fusing Silicone Tape For Garden Hose Repair START POINT =
she ended the video saying "I'll let you know if it fails overnight."

If those non-sticky garden hose fusion repair tapes work, I'll try them. Do they work?

Reply to
Andrew

I think you need Polident. It has better adhesion .

It's like fixing an auto tire. You can plug it from the outside but if you want to patch it, you do that from the inside. Then the pressure is working for you, not against you.

I tried this on a hose reel, made of aluminum, with a hole in it. If it didn't work on aluminum, it will never work on rubber.

YOu need toothpaste with fluoride and rubberide.

It's big garda. They control the garden hose market and they use force if necessary to squeeze out anyone who makes a good repair product. You might be able to get what you need in Canada, perhaps in the Yukon.

Reply to
micky

If you just plug or tape the hole from outside, the water pressure inside will push the plug or tape out. If it works, people would have been selling it already. People can plug a puncture hole in a tire by patching the hole with a piece of rubber and contact cement from INSIDE the tire, but you cannot do that with a garden hose. Cutting the hose and then rejoining with a repair kit is the ultimate way to fix a leak in the garden hose.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

What's the basis for your objection to cutting the hose in order to repair it properly?

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Next time you are at the store, take a look at the hoses. Note the differences in circumference and materials. Some smooth, some have like grooves,others textured. What works for one hose will not on another.

It is very simple to cut, put a piece of tubing inside both ends and a couple of clamps. I've done that a few times in 57 years of owning homes and it works.

Reply to
Ed P

Home Depot and Harbor Freight are crap. Try this one:

In any event, a leaking hose is a sign that it's worn out. They just don't make them to last.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

They are plastic and they are always out in the scorching sun in summer, and left outside to freeze in winter. The puncture hole was probably made by frozen water inside the hose.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

The only thing I can think of offhand is heat shrink used for underground electrical wire. You'd have to cut one of the hose ends off to get it on. The hose would need to be clean. Heat shrink isn't really designed for this but might be worth a try. The hose wouldn't be as flexible as originally in that spot.

Reply to
Dean

Try a Colgate tube, instead of Crest - be sure to get back to us and let us know how it works ; post some photos and even video clips. Whatever you do - DO NOT cut the bad spot out of the hose and use proper hose repair connector ! John T.

Reply to
hubops

Would you suggest "Sensitive" or "Ultra Whitening"?

Reply to
invalid unparseable

One of these:

and two small hose clamps:

Work very well.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Or more likely, just dropping something on the hose, especially where it lays on concrete or a rock..

Reply to
Bob F

A leaking hose could also be a sign of a rat (chewing on it). That happened to me once.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

You cut it so you can avoid cutting it.

Reply to
Sam E

I've a hose, patched several times, which has squirrel bitemarks along the entire length.

That said, hoses do wear out, particularly after several years of UV and temperature cycles. I had one that recently split on a cold morning when I bent it at a shallow angle.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Absolutely. Wouldn't be the first time this system is use, and not just for cutting.

Reply to
micky