OT _ Manholes in Roads

Good road surfaces often seem to be ruined by sinking manhole surrounds which then accelerates due to the pounding of wheels.
What is the cause?
Is it the brickwork of the chamber that is sub-standard and is crumbling?
Is it the foundations that are sinking - if so then what are the implications for the drain or pipework?
Is it that the cover does not spread the weight over a large enough area?
Is it poor workmanship or is there a lack of a proper standard when these are constructed?
DerbyBorn wrote:

Do they all have brickwork these days? I seem to see large corrugated plastic tubes where roads are being built, maybe that's just gulleys rather than manholes ...

Anyone know why these services have to be under the *road* as opposed to under the pavement or verge?
Well, I would hate to think of so many inspection covers on footways, a recipe for broken hips.
Brian
--
----- -

Obviously its more practical to have the storm water from the street gutters going down the side of the road.
On 06/05/2017 23:45, Rod Speed wrote:

It can be done by using slotted kerbstones that are connected into drains that are under the pavement. Or even cast iron covers with a lid that lifts up, also set into the pavement but with a slot level with the road surface. These work fine until an HGV drives up onto the pavement and smashes them.

Any reason for the other services to go under the road, such as water, gas, electric, sewer, phone? All of which seem to require manholes in the road and the road being dug up a lot. I want to know why *these* all go under the road.
Tim Streater formulated on Sunday :

Our gas main ran along the back gardens, until replaced a couple of years ago with a new main along the road. Electric cable runs along the pavement, water along the pavement, recently Virgin put their fibre along the pavement in a shallow trench. Foul and surface water drains are along our back gardens. We have 5x man hole covers in the back, for our purposes and public ones.

Ours don’t, they go down what we call the nature strip, the land just off the road.

None of ours do, they are all on the nature strip.

Doesn’t happen here. When they do cross the road they are punched thru the dirt under the road from a small hole on the side of the road.

Because you lot are that stupid.
d.

That means 2 drains rather than one - double the cost at the time of building a road.

Don’t work where you get deluges.

You still need access to those drains to get the rubbish out periodically.

Too expensive.

Doesn’t work where you get deluges.

On 07/05/2017 20:59, Rod Speed wrote:

The covers are hinged !, read my original post.

I see plenty of them in UK; very common when we had a thriving metal bashing and casting business in the midlands.

Only places like Fiji gets deluges which is why the gutter and storm drains are massive. Britain never gets 10 inches of rain in a day as Fiji and other places do. The most we have had to worry about is about 4 inches in a day and that is a one in 50 year event.

None of ours are.

Concrete is much more viable.

Even sillier than you usually manage. We have deluges every single year that have cars being washed away.

You don’t have to have 10" of rain in a day to have a deluge.

Still a deluge that the storm water system has to be able to handle.

Still something the storm water system has to be able to handle.
On 06/05/17 17:33, Andy Burns wrote:

That is the modern way. They are SUPPOSED to have well supported concrete collars around them.

Never seen any done with brickwork now.
We've just had one of ours replaced and it was done with a big cast concrete cylinder that was dropped into a big hole and then back filled.

did it have a foundation slab?

Nope.

So it will migrate downwards over time!

Nope, ours don’t.