Disc Brakes

wrote:

And I don’t use my brakes much on non motorways either.

Is that somewhere else you hardly ever go?
--
*By the time a man is wise enough to watch his step, he's too old to go anywhere.

I suppose not, I have only driven about 1.6 million miles on motorways. Th way you keep contradicting what i say I can only assume you can't drive and are an foot on accelerator foot on brake idiot.

It's rather obvious you don't do your own car servicing, so very likely have no real idea how long pads etc last.
BTW, I'd suggest you try the M25 in rush hour if you think you rarely need brakes on a motorway.
--
*The most common name in the world is Mohammed *

I drove on the M6 passed brum in rush hour, virtually everyday for decades, the m25 is nothing. If you need to use your brakes a lot on a motorway you really aren't driving well.
Once you realise that jumping from lane to lane isn't going to get you more than a couple of hundred yards gain, if any, you can relax and smooth out the traffic flow rather than contributing to the problem.
You should try it sometime you might make a better driver and save wear on everybody's brake pads.

I try very hard to slow down on a motorway by lifting off the power rather than by braking. But on a busy motorway that's not always possible. The car in front may not drive at a constant speed and may sometimes brake for no apparent reason. If you leave enough of a gap that you can adjust your speed purely on the accelerator without hitting the car ahead, someone will pull into it, so you will definitely have to brake until you have re-created a suitable gap ahead of you.
My wife drives *closer* to the car in front in busy traffic to prevent people pulling into the gap. I prefer to increase my gap to allow slowing down on the accelerator if the car ahead doesn't keep at a constant speed, and accept that people will sometimes pull into gaps that I wouldn't consider trying to fit into. Her way may get us there a bit sooner, but my way is far less stressful because you don't have to keep braking to adjust for every speed-change of the car ahead.

Very true. And it's not unusual for traffic on the motorway to slow down markedly for no apparent reason in heavy traffic. To say you hardly ever need brakes suggests very light traffic.

--
*One of us is thinking about sex... OK, it's me.

Nope, that you leave a decent gap to the traffic in front so that you can let the gap shrink when the traffic slows down markedly and don’t need to use the brakes.
Yes, you do need to use the brakes when coming to a stop at the lights etc but that wears the brakes fuck all when you see the lights are going to change or have already gone red and coast to a stop instead of braking.

On 09/05/2017 23:10, Rod Speed wrote:

And what do you think happens to that gap? Obviously not experienced the M25 :-)
--
Cheers, Rob

Doesn’t matter, you just ease off on the gas so you get more gap.

Ours are just as bad. Worse in fact.
Dave Plowman (News) laid this down on his screen :

I once came across a web page which demonstrates the ripple effect you get when roads are busy. You can set the level of congestion and (I think) the acceptable gaps. The ripple is where drivers have to slow down because they get too close to the car ahead. Which is exactly what we see on the actual roads. Best to ease off and just leave a sensible gap.

Yes.

Nope, just back off on the accelerator and let the car move back a bit relative to the car that has just pulled into the gap.

Yeah, I do too and have much bigger gap in front of me than most do.

Nope.

I don’t brake in that situation either.

If the car in front brakes I will *try* to lose speed to match his by lifting off the power. But if he brakes hard and I'm too close to be able to slow to his speed before running into the back of him, I'll need to brake.
Suppose you are following a car and you are both doing 70. How far away would you have to be initially for you to be able to slow to 40 without rear-ending him simply due to engine braking, if he suddenly brakes because someone has pulled in front of him or simply because he feels like it?
The situation where I'm always suspicious and leave a longer gap that normal is when I'm in a stream of traffic that is overtaking a lorry. Very often I find one of the cars in front of me will slam his brakes on as he draws level with the back end of the lorry, crawl past the lorry at maybe only 5 mph faster that it, and then speed up again after he is ahead of the cab. Why?
Motorways and dual carriageways are unpredictable because all you best-laid plans of not braking can be thwarted if you find that you've got "a bit of a braker" ahead of you or the traffic as a whole keeps speeding up and slowing down for no apparent reason.
On quieter roads I try to play "how few times can I manage to brake", comparing myself with the car in front.
Of course all bets are off on a downhill section :-) While I use engine braking on long steep hills, I never use it as the only means of braking - just a supplement to the footbrake.

I don’t ever drive that close.

Almost never does anyone do that.

Or that in spades.
I would almost always have multiple car lengths between him and me at that speed.
The only time I don’t is when I am about to overtake him because he isnt going as fast as I want to go and that is quite a bit of the time because I drive faster than most. I am hardly ever below the legal speed limit.

Cant say I have ever had anyone do that and I have done a lot more miles than you have.

I don’t find that.

But I have seen them doing that long before they are the car just in front of me. Since I always have more space in front of me than almost anyone else, even the first time they do that wont see me need to brake.

But again, I've already see that happening well before I need to brake because of it.

I don’t play, I just noticed that hardly anyone brakes as little as me and mostly just notice those who come close to braking as little as I do.

I almost never use the brakes then either.

I just don’t need to brake on long steep hills. Even those that have the runoff things that trucks with brake failure can use.

Of course. I doubt many brake just for the sake of it ever. It's a total nonsense to say brakes are hardly ever needed on a busy UK motorway. Although rather obviously you should be able to travel more miles per brake application than in town.
The whole brake thing tends to be a 'holier than thou' syndrome. Probably started by Herbert Austin who said that good brakes encourage bad driving. As an excuse for fitting the cheapest rubbish to the cars he built.
--
*Eschew obfuscation *

Dave Plowman (News) submitted this idea :

Sorry, but I see the 'comfort braking' all the time. No reason to brake an open empty, straight road, the are not going too fast and every so often the brake lights come on for no good reason.

Well I don't drive many miles now as I did, but it was and is a matter of pride for me to be able drive in the most congested conditions on a motorway and find no reason to brake. One of my earlier cars had a light for something or other to do with the brakes (?) which would only extinguish when the brakes were first applied after starting. I could drive for many miles with that light remaining lit.

And I said it depends entirely on traffic conditions. I've been on the M25 when it's been more like a typical high street in rush hour - start stop all the way. And the same on other motorways when there is a hold up.
--
*Born free - taxed to death *

I rarely need brakes on a motorway, but I would avoid the M25 at rush hour.

Even at rush hour, what use of the brakes that does happen doesn’t wear the brakes much, at most you are just slowing down the car a bit more than backing off on the accelerator does and stopping the car rolling when stopped at lights etc.

Even sillier than you usually manage. I am regularly fined for exceeding the speed limit, none of the garage salers but one can keep up with me and most of the 45 years were on nothing even remotely like quiet flat roads.
I just let the car slow down by itself when coming up to an intersection or wherever that needs to be taken slower than normal.