Primer - Paint - Why don't they just put primer in paint?

I know one must use primer on raw wood for good performance of the paint that ultimately covers it. My question is - what is in primer that does the "priming" ? It looks for all the world like regular old paint, so why don't they just put the stuff that's in there right in the paint so we can just paint without multiple steps?

Yeah, I know that to pro painters this is probably a dumb question, but I'll bet there are others out there who wonder about that every once in a while too - so flame if you must, but I'm just wondering.

Reply to
Steve Henderson

I've bought just such a thing at Walmart. McCloskies (spelling?) brand. Used it on some block piers at a cottage. Been there over a year, no problems yet. Block did suck it up a bit but I did one coat and it looks fine.

Reply to
Brikp

Same reason they don't put the peanut butter in the jelly?

Reply to
Norminn

They tried, a few years ago. It didn't sell!

Reply to
willshak

On 13 Sep 2004, Steve Henderson wrote

Primer, as far as I can tell, sticks to the wood but doesn't sink in.

Maybe it's not possible in chemical terms to marry a true "non-sink-in" characteristic with a regular paint -- which is either absorbed by the underlying material or has to sit on top of another barrier paint layer.

(??Maybe??)

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

Brian

Reply to
Default User

one quality of primer is 'teeth'. little 'hooks' in it that grab.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

You want different things in a topcoat, such as depth in a high-gloss. Primer you're just hoping is a very sticky base that never peels and sticks to anything. The depth (thus, low solids content) is opposite what a primer has (high-solids content to hide the underlying surface and provide a starting point for your color). That's at least two reasons for separate base/top.

Reply to
Scott Packard

Depending on what you're trying to cover, basically paint is primer. Some block stains, some fill in rough surfaces, etc.

Reply to
jeffc

Except when you don't need gloss, and high solids means good coverage and hiding.

Reply to
jeffc

Paint is a slurry combining "tinting agents", "binding agents", and something to hold it all together.

Primer is heavy on the binding agents. The binding agents can cause the paint, when used as topcoat, to clump against itself and create a lumpy appearance when viewed up close. This can be just fine in a lot of cases, but most people want a better finish than primer can provide.

Put it this way. Primer holds on tight to the wood, and to the topcoat. But without primer, the paint holds on tight to itself. Thus, peeling and coming off in multi-inch sheets.

Reply to
Dan Hartung

Primer - oil primer - has a much higher percentage of linseed oil. It's the oil that does the priming.

-- dadiOH _____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Well - this has been a good exchange, and I appreciate all the input. I have a better understanding now, and won't resent (well, as much anyway) buying separate products in the future . Steve

Reply to
Steve Henderson

If it makes you feel better, just consider it to be a second coat of paint and ignore the fact that the label says "primer". The problem that I'm having with it is that I need Alkyd primer and I seriously HATE cleaning up oil paint.

Reply to
Ed Clarke

cleaning

Reply to
nospambob

Yes, and the same goes for water based paints (in that case preload the brush with the proper solvent again - water.)

Reply to
jeffc