De Walt Tools

Not everyone is as useless as you. Stripping and repairing a quality tool isn't rocket science. It might well be with one of your welded together designed as disposable rubbish, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yup. It's always best to use a saw on pipes for the push fit connector. Much cheaper than the correct tool.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's called incompetence and ignorance of how powerful, and dangerous, tools operate. Appalling!

Reply to
IMM

Perhaps you don't make many international calls. 95% of mine are, so I tend to notice.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

About 95% of the calls that I make are international. When I've tried using these cut price services (last one about 4 months ago), calls would sound terrible and would frequently drop.

I need to have quality to be able to hear conversations properly, especially when people whose first language isn't English are involved. Poor audio quality leads to needing to repeat things and misunderstanding.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

You use BT so how do you know. Stop making things up.

Reply to
IMM

Refer to other post

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I suggest you do some research on the "Sale of goods Act". See here for a starter:-

you buy from a retailer, the retailer's small print will probably say something like "statutory rights not affected" in relation to their warranty. In other words the warranty is actually irrelevant - you have a set of statutory rights regardless of what the retailer chooses to offer. The retail warranty can only be in addition to your statutory rights - not in replacement of them.

The sale of goods act requires that the retailer sells a product that is "fit for purpose" and you can expect "reasonable" life and durability from it.

On the odd occasions that disputes do get as far as the small claims court (no lawyers required), there have been a number of quite high profiles cases won by the consumers.

Reply to
John Rumm

It is astounding the nonsense you can spout (especially when you are getting toward the "clutching at straws" phase of your argument).

A DIYer (whatever one of those is) should buy whatever tool they need and want to get the job done to a satisfactory standard.

I have bought cheap tools and more expensive "professional" tools. The pro ones have always without exception been nicer to use and have given better results. Sometimes I make a value judgement that for a particular task which I will do infrequently, I can get by with the cheap tool and accept the lower performance.

Sometimes the cheap tool is a complete non starter and there is no alternative to buying a decent tool. Routers are a good example. None of the budget OEM tools have the accuracy or build quality to do the job. Jigsaws are another good example. Spend 120 quid on a Bosch, or Makita and you will realise that there is no comparison between the proper tool and thing that they call a jigsaw in your average DIY shed. They are simply different classes of tool and there are a whole range of things that you can accomplish with the pro tool that are non starters with the cheap one.

Reply to
John Rumm

You may actually have just spotted the real motivation for IMMs buying philosophy: Dark blue PPPoo counterbalanced with light grey "Kress pretending to Wickes". Simple - Linda Barker would be proud!

It all makes sense now - the turquoise of Makita or the Yellow of a DeWalt would clash terribly! Probably why he never actually plugs them in either - that way there is no dust to spoil the display cabinet.

Reply to
John Rumm

If only. I'd say it's more a clash of colours of the catalogues on the coffee table. He plainly never uses any of the tools he spouts off about - or even just picks them up. The first 'feel' of a decent tool even without powering it up can tell you quite a bit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It is astounding the lack of simplke logic you have.

This man clearly did not know how to use the tool. Appalling.

Reply to
IMM

I can't believe IMM is still talking verbal s**te after all this time. Surely his arse hole must be red raw by now. Christ, I'm giving serious thought to buying shares in Andrex. Or does he still use Izal?!

Reply to
PJ

Do you mean this man knew who to use the tool properly? My oh ,my. My, oh my.

Reply to
IMM

sorry "simplke" logic is a branch I have not encountered, forrunner of ECL perhaps?

The implication being that you do I suppose? Go on then, show us some of the high quality work you have done with your tool collection. I am looking forward to being impressed.

Reply to
John Rumm

You are not right.

The implication is clear that he didn't know how to use it. I certainly know how to use power tools being brilliant at life in general.

The owners would appreciate raw Dyers looking around their promises.

Reply to
IMM

I bought a 24 volt B&Q cheapo cordless hammer drill for £25, it looks crap and it's proper heavy, but it does everything I ask it to like drilling holes and stuff, beyond that I'm not sure what else you'd need a drill to do... oh and it came with 3 years warranty.

Now I just need my matching cheapo B&Q value overalls and I'll be ready for 'men and tools monthly' just like you guys..!!

Reply to
Andrew King

If the drill does what you need then that is fine. As I said in another post, I have no problem with people buying budget tools (me included) when they will do what you need. The thing that IMM seems unable to grasp, is that there are times when such a tool is not appropriate for the task in hand.

The one with IMM on the front cover this month?

Reply to
John Rumm

As the tool?

.andy