De Walt Tools

So each time something breaks down outside the guarantee you go to lawyer. Please get in the real world. Imagine, we would have lawyers on every street corner. "The kettle has packed up Dear". "OK I'll just pop across the street to the lawyers to do some suing, be back in a jiff". ...2 hours later...."Is the kettle fixed Dear, I'm gasping for a cuppa"? "No, not for another 6 months as the lawyers is starting the court proceedings".

Look at the current threads someone here ditched one because repair was so expensive. I know guys who ditch Bosch tools because of the same. May as well get a 3 year no quibble guarantee PP Pro.

I does.

DeWalt is pants, to give one of your sarf Lahdan words. Many here say the same thing, and that is a global brand. Kress is far better, yet costs less, and is full pro, no PP stuff.

You pay for their marketing and hype you mean. Many telecom companies undercut BT, yet use BT lines. BT can't undercut them because they spend billions on national advertising, the little boys don't, undercut and provide the same service even on BT lines. Big name does not equal big reliability.

Reply to
IMM

... OFCOM won't let them !!!!!!!!!!!!!

They'd happily undercut them and put them all out of business tomorrow if they were allowed to.

they spend

Reply to
G&M

Nonsense. Parts prices are very reasonable.

Reply to
Grunff

That isn't what I said at all. I don't require a lawyer to have a friendly discussion with a retailer in which if need be I explain about consumer legislation. I also would not require a lawyer if it became necessary to take him to court.

In the case of power tools, I have only ever had to raise the issue and make it clear that I am prepared to do just that if need be. The process is quite simple.

However, by the use of good quality choices, the issue has very seldom arisen at all.

I would prefer not to have the issue. Having a quibble with PPPoo stuff would be from the outset because the usability and quality of many of the products is so poor. That's before anything breaks.

You does what?

As I already said, I cherry pick products according to requirements and check reviews carefully as well. The DeWalt routers are consistently good and solid performers. I have one of their screwdrivers that is also excellent. I ran into a design defect with one of their biscuit jointers and the cost was refunded nearly two years later.

DW has a good sliding mitre saw (DW708), but the Makita LS1013 is smoother, so I have one of those.

I wouldn't give the Wickes OEM Kress stuff house room because it is not even in the same league as these products.

Nope. There is undoubtedly a cost in establishing and maintaining a global brand, and I have no real problem if they do so. I select purely on quality, service and ease of use. For example, I have a Metabo random orbit sander. This is a well respected brand, but the main reason is because this is an excellent sander which I can use all day and not have tingling fingers at the end.

They really don't. I have been around the houses with some of these operators, including some of the larger ones like NTL, who have been hopeless.

I buy all of my telecoms services with one exception with business as opposed to residential service levels. For the services required, BT is really the only operator able to deliver what I need and has demonstrated that.

True, but it is often the case and there is a well defined path to take if there are problems.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

You know very little about power tools to come out with such a crass statement.

Yep.

It doesn't take much looking to find a Telecoms company totally undercutting BT......and using their lines to.

I use BT lines, but anther company bills my calls at way under what BT can offer.

And often not the case as in DeWalt.

Reply to
IMM

Or even Kress statement.?

Following my purchasing policy, I get products that work well, are comfortable to use and set up, produce good results and with which I have little or no problems. I know that if repairs and spares are needed, I can get them for a long time.

I have no motivation to go for OEM products sold in DIY stores.

No it doesn't, but experience shows that you get what you pay for. I am looking to buy primarily a level of service, not the cheapest deal.

Yawn....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Nonsense. Read the threads here on this point. I also mention a tradesman I know who is quoted £200 to repair a 4kg Bosch SDS drill when new it is around £270. In the same catalogue a similar Hitachi is cheaper. I know which brand I would buy.

The fact is, unless it is something simple, like a switch, having power tools repaired is dodgy financially. They are "all" disposable items. May as well go for PP Pro with the 3 yr no quibble guarantee, or Kress/Wickes for more substantial models who have similar guarantees.

Reply to
IMM

When I recently burnt out my DW566, one phone call got me a replacement armature for £26 all inc., delivered to my door the following day.

Replacement was a matter of removing 8 screws, and took about 10 mins. And that's without a manual/exploded diagram to look at. If I'd wanted to look at a diagram, there is one on their website. But I didn't.

The armature is about the most difficult thing to replace, since it is right at the centre of the tool.

But then you have a crappy user experience in the meantime.

Reply to
Grunff

How much for the repair depot to do it? and how long do they keep it? Don't say just a day as that rarely happens, unless they are slack.

Like yours as the armature keeps burning out. What a bum drill you picked there.....and all that lolly too.

Reply to
IMM

Which is flawed.

You need to read the threads more.

You the THE BT lines!!!!!!! The companies just bill you the calls at much lower rates than BT. The service is there because you pay BT for the line.

DeWalt makes me go to sleep as well.

Reply to
IMM

I don't know. Anyone incapable to undoing 8 screws to replace an armature really shouldn't be using an SDS anyway.

Burnt out once in over two years, because I made a mistake. As for cost, the machine was only £120. Very good value.

Reply to
Grunff

What did you do? Use it under water?

me thinks not.

Reply to
IMM

For me it works excellently. Your mileage may vary.

This is one source of information, but by no means the only one.

On international calls they introduce large amounts of compression to squeeze more calls into a given bandwidth. The audio quality drops to being unintelligible on occasions, so I don't use these services.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I held it with my leather-gloved hand completely blocking the vent slots, whicle constantly chiseling for half an hour. I failed to smell the burning because I was wearing an activated carbon mask. First thing I knew was when it just stopped working. Upon removing the mask, the stench was incredible - must have been burning for quite some time.

Only £20-£30 more than your Kress.

Reply to
Grunff

This is a good example why DIYers should not buy expensive tools. It was clear this man did not know how to use the tool, which could have caused a fire, and when this occurs an expensive tool can disappear. DIYers should sue cheap tolls, so when they screw up not so much is lost.

Which is better quality.

Reply to
IMM

I have never had that probelm at all.

Reply to
IMM

Hmm, that's not a problem that anyone using these services reports on uk.telecom, not recently anyway.

Reply to
usenet

He makes things up.

Reply to
IMM

It's called a mistake. People make mistakes.

Reply to
Grunff

You've not read and remembered Grunff's first hand experiences of repairing a burnt out DW SDS drill? One which is at the bottom end of the quality market price wise?

I'll accept his word rather than your friend of a friend of a friend rubbish...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)