Computer sound query

I managed to add a spurious space to the URL. This should work:

Bert Coules

Buzz much reduced from the previous one. With my speakers at ordinary speech level I'd call that OK for Zoom. Obviously mute your mic when not speaking.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Right, thanks, Dave.

Reply to
Bert Coules

That's much better although there's some minor background interference which is only (slightly) evident when you're not talking. The Logitech is better still.

If your desktop mic is sensitive to position and if you can't hear the interference yourself, then it might be a bit risky on video calls.

Out of interest, is it a USB mic or analogue?

Reply to
Pamela

Right, thanks.

USB, connected via the same hub as the Logitech.

Incidentally, how did you generate those analysis charts?

Reply to
Bert Coules

I used an old version of Audacity > Analyse > Plot Spectrum.

Free audio editing packages are available thse days for youngsters to dabble in music composition on their bedroom PCs, and these often include a raft of audio tools including 3D spectrum analysers.

Reply to
Pamela

My Audacity is v 2.4.2; I don't know if that's particularly up to date or not. I've never consciously noticed that Plot Spectrum capability before, so thanks for pointing it out.

Reply to
Bert Coules

I keep on finding new tricks on Audacity. Another very good free sound prog for analysing things is REW - really for measuring speakers and room acoustics.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Dave, do you know the very good (and very helpful) Audacity forum?

Thanks for the other tip.

Reply to
Bert Coules

The first one is the best. The second one has some sort of pulsating hum, the last one is tinny.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Aren't you hearing that pulsating hum on the middle one?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

That sounds perfectly alright to me. I'm using a Sony amp and two JPW speakers.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Yes if I turn the volume right up I can hear the interference, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

On my Windows 8.1 laptop, I can right click on the speaker icon in the task bar, select 'Recording devices', select my plugged in microphone, select 'Properties', select the 'Levels' tab, and on that there's a volume slider, and also a 'Boost' slider which can apply up to 30db boost in 10db increments.

Reply to
Dave W

That sounded very good to me. The loud buzzing is not there any more.

Reply to
Dave W

These are the sort of things I was thinking of, probably not 'broacast quality' but good enough for Zoom.

Dave W

Windows 7 lacks the Boost option but does have the overall recording level adjustment. Thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Thanks. That's with the mic moved some ten inches further away from the monitor, which seems to have been the cause of the interference. And also with it elevated four inches or so to bring it nearer my mouth, which might also be a factor, I suppose.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Thanks, Bill. As I've just said in another post, I moved the mic further away from the monitor, which seemed the likeliest source of the interference.

Reply to
Bert Coules

I certainly can't detect it at the normal sort of listening levels. Thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules