Bathroom fan wiring query (sorry!)

I know that bathroom fans seem to be one of the most oft-covered topics (why isn't it in the FAQ?!); but unfortunately I can't seem to find an answer to my specific query via google...

I'm installing a simple bathroom extractor fan (Screwfix 15927); I'd like to wire it through a 2-gang light switch on the landing; ie, the two switches would control the bathroom light and fan completely independently. There's no timer, humidistat, or anything else; just straightforward on-off.

Is this permitted under the regs? I can't see why not, but the fan instructions state that I can only wire it independently using a pull-cord switch, or wire it in parallel with the bathroom light.

And does the fan still need to be wired through a double-pole isolation switch, despite not being wired to the light? Can I just use a double-pole FCU like Screwfix 16437?

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

It's best to install a localised double pole isolator switch to a fan circuit for servicing purposes, and it isn't necessary to have a pull cord switch if the switching is being done from outside the bathroom where you don't have your hands in a wash basin full of water. So, yes, you can install a two gang switch outside the loo room to control the fan and lighting independently of each other, but it's best to have the live and neutral for the fan running through a double pole switch (5 amp rating should be enough) and install it either above or below the two gang switch before the supply carries on to the fan itself.

Reply to
BigWallop

thats how you do it then>

fans are usually wired into the lighting circuit using 3 core cable and isolated using a fan isolator switch

Reply to
Wheelbarrowbob

On 12 May 2004 12:50:06 -0700, in uk.d-i-y snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Lobster) strung together this:

I think it just assumes you are putting the switch in the bathroom, all of my fans are switched from a seperate wall switch outside, and it's to the regs.

Yes, you still need an isolator, no need for an FCU though, just a double pole isolator like an immersion heater switch will be fine. I usually use a TP fan isolator though, so it's got a label saying what it does.

Reply to
Lurch