T/G Floor panels

Given that the ends of the 8' lengths will probably not match the flooring joist spacing. can they be allowed to lock together between the joists?..as in overhanging?

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur

You can but use the 22mm stuff rather than 18mm. Add noggins between the joists at suitable intervals to support the join, especially a four panel join. Put glue in the groove as well or you will forever have squeaky floors, for the same reason leave a 5 > 10mm gap at the wall (which will be covered by the skirting anyway).

Reply to
Toby

This site might be of help:

BigWallop

The ones I used have T&G at the ends too, so when locked toghether they are supported by the T&G. Also, Once you get a board each side of it too (staggered), then the edges of the boards are also supported by the T&G.

Question is though - is this enough to support the floor? I think it is okay in the loft (where mine are) but I don't know about a well used floor which may be jumped on or something. Personally, I would question why the T&G is there if it cannot support the weight adequately - surely if the T&G provide insufficient support, then going with non T&G boards would be better as they can be easily lifted in the future without distubing the rest of the floor.

David Hearn

Definately give the joins support. I rue the day I decided to put t&g chipboard in my remodelled kitchen a few years ago and sincerely wish that I had forked out for ordinary boards. After 15 years there are a few springy places (nowhere near joins) that I have had to reinforce from underneith with a bit glued and screwed on - horrid job as space is limited.

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Have you bought 2.4m lengths from B&Q or somewhere?

Beware - B&Q also sell 16mm (finished, approx), which is a PITA as I had to make a garage door for someone just now that ended up being made of 16mm & 18mm mixed. Whoever heard of 18mm boards, let alone 16!!

I don't understand this "floor panel" bit. What is it?

If you're just laying PT&G flooring, I should waste the overhangs, therefore avoiding the need for support, and *certainly not* use glue, which can lead to awful splitting problems.

Reply to
Jerry Built

Chipboard. P4 is standard, P5 has a green surface to denote it's moisture resistance additive. May be referred to as 'Caberfloor' in the merchants.

Reply to
Toby

Duh! I've been doing some fencing recently, I had a mental image of a load of PT&G floorboards held together somehow...

Yes, I've used the stuff. Can be joined, should be glued with ample PVA, these are very often long enough to do rooms with enough "spare" to avoid having an unsupported join, should be staggered, screw down, leave access where it might be needed. I have laid a tiled kitchen floor on caber, mind you the "tiles" were 450 square Terrazo slabs".

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

On Thu, 13 May 2004 10:50:16 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "David Hearn" strung together this:

No, building regs or somesuch specify that the joints need additional support. They'll creak\fall through with a bit of wear. I've been up in lofts before with dodgy flooring, even crawling across the loft you can go through it. If people put the floors down properly to start with they wouldn't end up with an electrician shaped hole in the ceiling!

Reply to
Lurch