Computer sound query

That seems likely. My Windows 7 audio options are, I think, exactly the same as yours.

Thanks for that.

Reply to
Bert Coules

I've been thinking the same. And it would also be worthwhile to listen to them on more than one piece of gear: my PC's audio playback might well be colouring the sound even further.

Interesting; thanks for the link.

Reply to
Bert Coules

On Zoom meetings I can link my laptop to the TV via an HDMI cable (or by screen mirror - but this introduces more latency) which allows the sound to be from the same system as the TV sound - in my case through the Hi-Fi system.

But the simplest way would be a decent USB headset.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I've uploaded a 28 second WAV file with a sample recording from all three microphones currently available to me: the Logitech webcam, the separate cheapo desktop mic, and the mic in my old (low grade video) webcam.

In each instance I was speaking at the same level and at roughly the same distance. Recording made in Audacity with the mic input control at maximum (and the recorded level startlingly low). I've done nothing to clean up or alter the recordings, since what I'm after is a decent sound quality for live Zoom chatting.

If anyone would be kind enough to listen I'd be grateful for any thoughts.

Bert Coules

That is fascinating and reassuring; many thanks. I'm wondering if the unacceptable sound is a product of my PC's playback chain rather than the sound itself.

I'll try playing the same file back through my main sound system and see (or rather hear) what happens.

Reply to
Bert Coules

I've just listened to this on my laptop without using headphones. The two webcam mics sound far away as you might expect. The desktop mic sounds nearer as you might expect and has more high frequency response, but also has some strange repeating buzzing interference.

The second webcam shows more background noise - maybe it's less directional than the first.

I favour a lapel mic for Zooming, as there is no background noise plus being nearer my mouth and further from the laptop speakers there's less chance of feedback. Also room acoustics don't detract. I don't use headphones now as my laptop speakers are a bit quiet and I don't get any feedback.

However, one person in my Zoom crowd had to be asked to wear headphones, because without them, when anybody else spoke, we all got a delayed version back from his setup making it difficult to understand. Maybe he had loud speakers.

Reply to
Dave W

Thanks.

That's interesting. The actual distances from my mouth to the mics were:

Logitech webcam: 20" Old webcam: 14" Desktop: 15"

I was surprised that the level of recorded sound from all three mics was low, reported by Audacity as having a peak level of only -6.26dB. This was with the recording level set at the software's maximum.

I might look into that. I haven't used lapel mics since my BBC days when the standard model was the Sony ECM50 (which gave excellent results). Do you have any more up to date recommendations?

Reply to
Bert Coules

Main difference on a very quick listen on the computer speakers is the bass end. Very common to roll off some bass for clearer speech. And very easy do do - at least in analogue.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Pro lapel mics like later versions of the ECM 50 cost rather a lot. Perhaps £200 used, for a good one. And old ones may need the electret replaced, as they don't last for ever.

There may well be a mass produced alternative that is good enough at a reasonable price - I simply don't know the current market. But all lapel mics need EQ for each individual voice to sound best.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Thanks for the thought. Simplicity itself of course if I were recording for later playback, but I have no immediate means of adjusting the sound for live Zoom or Skype work.

Reply to
Bert Coules

The 'old web cam' is remarkably bassless. sounds like a ceramic driving too low an impedance The new web cam and the desktop are broadly similar and the differences could be down to position versus where the voice was.

I'd say all were acceptable for voice

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The logitech sounds best to me, I would have no issue having a teams/zoom/webex call at that quality ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks for that. It's becoming clear that the problems I'm experiencing with the sound quality are almost certainly due to my PC's playback, my hearing, or a combination of both.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Ah, many thanks for that. It's becoming clear that the problems I'm experiencing with the sound quality are almost certainly due to my PC's playback, my hearing, or a combination of both.

Today I'll try playing my triple-test file through my AV setup: highish-end Marantz amp, HTPC with a good quality sound card, and decent speakers. In view of reactions to the sound here, that's probably going to produce quite a different result.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Quite. I've looked for a graphic equaliser or whatever that would work in real time with a USB mic, but not found one. For Zoom etc. I'd guess it simply is impossible. So the answer may be to use an analogue mic into a small mixer with decent EQ. Some searching shows there are very inexpensive ones around that have a USB output - but they tend to have very basic EQ, just bass and treble. For a lapel mic you really need a mid range peak. If your computer has analogue audio in, the choice of mixers is much wider.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

No - any old rubbish will do. I am using a 'stereo' mic from a Freecycle lot. It consists of two microphones an inch apart facing opposite directions - completely useless as stereo.

Omnidirectional is best. One I tried was a bit directional, so when you turned your head the volume varied.

A head-mounted mic would give the most consistent sound, but looks distracting on screen. Perhaps you could get one of those tiny pink ones sometimes seen on TV.

Reply to
Dave W

I have a mid price headset that works very well indeed. Decent mic and decent earphones for speech. But I don't want to use one for Zoom stuff.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I am of the same mind. Thanks for that, and your other recent thoughts.

Playing my comparison recording through my AV setup produced a very different result: both the Logitech and the cheap separate mic sounded perfectly acceptable, and the sound from the older webcam mic was thin and bodiless. Which strongly suggests that the weak link in the chain for my main PC is the playback: the main-board audio circuitry, or the speakers. I don't know which of the two would produce the most obvious improvement if upgraded.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Speakers, without a doubt I have a pair of logitech £22 ers and they are really rather good for the money...

The Natural Philosopher

Any idea how much broadcast mics cost? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News