Backdraft shutter

Our cooker extract allows in cold drafts in windy weather.

Anyone care to venture opinion/experience of the *in line* gravity type?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

<snip>

Problems with the soup powder blowing about Tim? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

They do the job, but suffer from clunking as air pressure changes with passing gusts. If you don't mind the odd clunk, then they're okay.

Reply to
Steve Walker

they clatter in high wind

But they sorta work to stop air coming IN

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1 I installed one in the extractor fan duct from our shower room that had no window; the duct had previously allowed quite a lot of draft making the room quite chilly, not something you want in a shower room. But as SW says, it does make little clicky noises as the flap opens and closes in the 'breeze'.
Reply to
Chris Hogg

In message snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Chris Hogg snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net writes

Thanks all.

Hmm.. Rather as I suspected. Although in a valley, our house is very exposed to SW winds. I keep meaning to try attaching plastic/rubber strips to the external shutters to stop them clattering but thought I ought to explore alternatives first. The cooker extract draws complaints so is first on the list for action:-)

Next question.. what about powered flaps? Do they exist as an optional fitting? Looping the fan supply to some sort of actuator within the extractor housing might not invoke part P!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The term you need is "motorised damper".

Reply to
Steve Walker

BTDTWTTS. I stuck some 'D' section rubber draft excluder strip to the back of the bottom of each strip. It reduced the clattering noise but didn't eliminate it.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Also special cowls on the outside can help, I've noticed several types when I could see but don't know what is actually inside it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Snip

Ah! Thanks. Don't quite fit the modest cost target:-(

I have seen mention of *thermally operated* which hinted at the wax expansion/contraction model. Nothing so far on a *Duck.. duck* search:-)

I'll look again tonight. Today is mix/pour the concrete and fit the holding down bolts for a barn re-roof!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I have one of those built into the actual fan

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

how about this?

The Natural Philosopher

Ah. Thermo actuator! That's the kiddy. Thanks.

Big price range in there. Tempting to replace the main bathroom one as an experiment.

Doesn't solve the kitchen problem as that is an unshuttered vent from a hob extractor. Outlet vertical (chalet bungalow) in the soffit so the gravity type problematic. I may try moving it along a bit to create a horizontal run of pipe.

Reply to
Tim Lamb