OT: Can anyone identify this strange computer sound?

My W10/64 Pro desktop computer emits a strange squawking noise from time to time - typically several times a day but sometimes several times in quick succession.

Each instance is short and sharp, and lasts about 300mS. It is definitely coming through the audio system rather than being (say) a disk bearing because its volume depends on the volume control setting, and I have been able to record it by setting the recording input as "Stereo Mix".

You can hear it here:

and you can see the waveform here:
I assume that some application or other is trying to tell me something, but it's never accompanied by any message or notification on the screen, and I can't find anything in the error logs. In addition, I can't find any system sound which sounds like this.

I shall be most grateful if someone can put me put me out of my misery and tell me what's likely to be causing it.

Reply to
Roger Mills

It's looking for passing submarines.

Sorry. It's not a sound that I recognise as a normal PC notification.

Reply to
Steve Walker

I don't recognise the sound, but if you right click the speaker icon in the tray after it's done it, and go to volume mixer, it usually shows individual sliders for any apps that have recently played sounds, so look for apps other than the "usual" such as browsers and media players.

Reply to
Andy Burns

It's not a key temporarily sticking down, is it?

Reply to
Bob Eager

And anti virus and dropbox or other cloud storage systems as there seems to be an outbreak of noise generation of late, no doubt trying to emulate the smart phones. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

What is the current sound for usb device or USB device failed to initialise. I have found if you set the settings in some configs, these errors do not generate the text but still make a noise. I use non standard noises but maybe its something similar to that, wiggle you usb devices about in the sockets. I had a sticky caps lock key once that made a sound like that but it was multiple not just one offs like your recording.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I would check that you haven't caught a virus and that your browser is closed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That is the closest sound I can think of too. :-)

Reply to
nightjar

It might be worth running the machine in Safe Mode for a while, to eliminate some background tasks. My Thunderbird bleeps when a new mail comes in - perhaps it's something to do with your mail program?

Reply to
Dave W

A suggestion in the other group, is a Chrome extension.

Only you know what you've got for Chrome Extensions.

Paul

Reply to
Paul