Can anyone identify this plumbing fitting please?

1928 North London semi. Looks like an iron elbow connecting a 1/2" lead pipe buried in the wall (presumably original) to another length of the same outside it:

like to connect to 15mm copper like the pipe on the left in the main pic does. Don't think I can DIY a similar soldered join myself (correct me if I'm wrong). Not critical because it connects to copper behind the washing machine anyway and I could join there. But it would be neater to do it where it comes out of the wall. Nut of the elbow is 1.25"across flats. Can't discern how elbow connects to pipe in wall. Is it likely to be, or suitable to be replaced by, one of these:

?ts=43530&id=17647Or could I use one of the lead-to-copper couplers here:

if so how can I ID which of the two gauges of 1/2"lead piping mine is? And do they work just like compression joints on all-copper?

TIA.

rrh

Reply to
rrh

than the elbow, and that the elbow terminates in a male thread - probably

1/2" or 3/4" BSP. If this is the case, you could replace the lead with copper - using something like a straight tap connector. You can get these with the 'pipe' end using compression, solder or push-fit technology depending on your preference.
Reply to
Set Square

looks like a female threaded elbow to me: there's a small hex headed fitting screwed closely into the iron elbow and it's the other end of this small hex fitting which has the big nut on. If the fitting is brass you've a chance of shifting it and getting a 1/2" BSP male x compression/solder/whatever fitting into the elbow instead of it. You need to clean it up first to find out what you've got though.

Reply to
John Stumbles

I agree that it's a female elbow, but I think that what's screwed into it is a double-ended male fitting with a hex bit in the middle to enable you to turn it. I still think that the big nut is on the lead pipe.

If so, the OP has a choice of either just removing the lead pipe and replacing it with a female iron to copper fitting, or removing the lead pipe

*and* the hex bit, and using a male iron to copper fitting.
Reply to
Set Square

Good leads, people, thanks. I'll let you know.

Reply to
rrh

Is that good leads or good leads ( leds) ...lol Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

Pun fully intended. Led on, Macduff.

Reply to
rrh

The shape of the fitting going through the wall looks like a copper solder ring fitting. Wjat is through the wall, and what is behind the washing machine? You could probably change it all quite cheaply and easily for copper.

Reply to
B Thumbs

Buried in the wall is an original lead pipe; whether the fitting you see is directly connected to that or whether there is something in between I can't presently tell, but I strongly suspect it's direct to the lead. Behind the washing machine the lead pipe is compression-jointed to 1/2"or 15mm copper.

Reply to
rrh

That was my original take. But when the hex bit was pointed out by someone else, I had to agree that it is an iron female elbow with something screwed into it. Iron fittings often do have a sort of collar right at the end - which may be mistaken for a solder ring when under multiple layers of paint.

Reply to
Set Square

Yes, I've spotted the flats. It does look like a female iron elbow (could be brass but I doubt it in domestic of that vintage) with a male coupler to lead screwed into it. I wouldn't like to separate them at the elbow!

Reply to
B Thumbs