Plumbing - Filling loop

We have just purchased a Worcester-Bosch Greenstar Junior 24
Combi-Condensing boiler and the plumbing merchant said we would need Filling Loop.
However, our builder is saying that we would not need to regularly to up the central heating water? What I don't understand is how th central heating water would be pressurised in the first place without Filling Loop?
I know that larger boilers usually have this incorporated into th bottom of the boiler
-- M.Joshi
M.Joshi wrote:

Correct
How do you imagine the system will be filled and pressurised in the first place then ?! ;-)
You may well find it does need actually topping up very occasionally; other than that if any maintenance is required it would need doing then. The filling loop should be disconnected from the main when not actually in use.
David
| |We have just purchased a Worcester-Bosch Greenstar Junior 24i |Combi-Condensing boiler and the plumbing merchant said we would need a |Filling Loop.
Correct! | |However, our builder is saying that we would not need to regularly top |up the central heating water? What I don't understand is how the |central heating water would be pressurised in the first place without a |Filling Loop?
Maybe your builder wants to come back every so often and charge you call out fee for each visit. | |I know that larger boilers usually have this incorporated into the |bottom of the boiler.
If the pressure gauge falls below whatever the boiler instructions indicate, you should use the filling loop to increase the pressure to within the limits. This may only be required *infrequently* but it is best to insist on having a filling loop fitted. All plumbing has slight leaks :-(
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> Google Groups is IME the *worst*
On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 09:46:48 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
|wrote: | || ||We have just purchased a Worcester-Bosch Greenstar Junior 24i ||Combi-Condensing boiler and the plumbing merchant said we would need a ||Filling Loop. | |Correct! || ||However, our builder is saying that we would not need to regularly top ||up the central heating water? What I don't understand is how the ||central heating water would be pressurised in the first place without a ||Filling Loop? | |Maybe your builder wants to come back every so often and charge you call |out fee for each visit. || ||I know that larger boilers usually have this incorporated into the ||bottom of the boiler. | |If the pressure gauge falls below whatever the boiler instructions |indicate, you should use the filling loop to increase the pressure to |within the limits. This may only be required *infrequently* but it is best |to insist on having a filling loop fitted. All plumbing has slight leaks |:-(
I should have included bleeding radiators. All water contains dissolved air, and in central heating systems this bubbles out and ends up in, radiators causing the top of a radiator to be cooler than the bottom. Removing this air by bleeding radiators is a common DIY chore. After bleeding radiators the pressure in a combi-condensing boiler reduces, often requiring increasing pressure by use of the filling loop.
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> Google Groups is IME the *worst*
On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 00:14:28 +0000 M.Joshi wrote :

He is correct to say that you should not need to *regularly* top up the central heating water. If you do, there is probably a leak somewhere. But, obviously as others have said, you do need a way of charging the system. Some boilers have a filling loop built in - nothing to do whether it's a large or small boiler.

Is that a manometer?
Mary
On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 12:34:57 -0000, "Mary Fisher"

No it is a short bit of, usually flexible, pipe and a tap.
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> Google Groups is IME the *worst*
On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 12:34:57 +0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

No.
The filling loop (see SealedCH FAQ) is like screwfix part
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id 806&ts3349
A manometer is a pressure guage like this http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?idB943&ts3423 ( which BTW is at a ridiculous price. )

So it's virtually a manometer :-)
Mary
M.Joshi wrote:

The WB24i has the 'filling loop' built in, though it does come in a separate box with its own price tag.

As is the case with this one.
--
djc