Can anyone identify this connector please:

Hi All,

I'm trying to rig up an additional means of connecting to a 12V battery caddy off a mobility scooter but didn't want to affect / change the existing connectors, for now anyway.

They look like a bigger version of the old PC PSU Optical / HDD Molex connector but only 3 (not 4) way (two pins used in this role, each about 3mm OD). There is latch for a retaining clip on the long side and two of the plug / socket holes are round (7.5mm ID) and the other a 'D' section.

The (currently chassis mounted (hot melt glue in the lid of the case)) plug is about 26 x 10mm (by about 14mm deep).

I was wondering is anyone had seen this in use anywhere else and therefore if the plugs (well, the mating in-line sockets in this case) and where I might be able to get some from please?

Ignore the red marker, that was just me marking the polarity when experimenting. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I have spoken to the scooter supplier (TGA) and they will only supply expensive pre-made cables etc.

Reply to
T i m

True, it does indeed, but I think the moulding is different to what I need. ;-(

I found a few pictures and I think they (some) show two round plastic male bits (good) and the third with a 'D' on it's side, or a square ... whereas what I have her requires a D shape for the 3rd pin with the flat of the D facing the middle pin.

I'll keep looking though. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

It's difficult to tell without knowing the pitch and what the other side looks like, but have a dig around this site:

There's lots of connectors that look vaguely alike, and sometimes they mate and sometimes they don't.

They're in the US (have ordered from them with no hassles) but sometimes the listing will tell you enough information to find it locally.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Sorry Theo, looks like about 8.5mm?

You can't see a lot ...

(40A resettable trip below it).

Thanks for that Theo and whilst I can't see anything likely at the first skim, I've book marked the site as it looks like it could be useful in any case. ;-)

It's quite possible the connector I require is a 'special' but in many cases you can often find another usage of something, even in a completely different field.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ah, didn't realise it was that large. It isn't one of these is it?

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Also are you sure that you can get current out of this as well as into it. many of these have ahigh current diode in there to stop it being used from outside. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yeah, it is quite chunky. ;-)

Again, it could possibly be from the same series as such, and the retaining clip is in the right place etc but not the exact thing I don't think.

There are two battery cases with carry handles that are used with a take-down TGA mobility scooter that used to belong to my Dad. It was was sold to a neighbour when he died but I have now got it back because 1) they bought a minibus and a bigger 4 wheel scooter so don't really need it and 2) it stopped working.

So, when I get roundtuit I'd like to see if I can fix it and if I can (reliably) I'd offer it back to him so would like to keep all the connectors as stock (the mating connectors on the scooter have rubber boots over them etc).

In parallel to this, Mum still has an identical scooter (Dad first bought a second hand one, loved it and bought a new one on a special offer) so again, I don't want to miss-match stuff if I can help it (I can keep a spare pair of batteries for mum and / or borrow hers to keep them active etc.

And that takes us to the 3rd facet which is I'd like to try them with my small electric outboard motor because at only 22Ah they could be fine when two batteries are wired in parallel or for short trips etc On speed 3 (of 5) the outboard draws ~15A so a single battery would only give me maybe 20 minutes, assuming the wiring was up to it [1].

This would also be a good way of living the batteries a bit of a workout now and again plus be easier to carry and lift into the dinghy than the 17kg [2] 60Ah traction battery I'm currently using. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] I'm not sure the scooter would ever see as continuous current draw like that, unless you happened to live at the top of a very long hill, so, another thought would be to find an alternative connector (Anderson Powerpoles?) and rewire all the boxes and scooter loom ends and I can also improve the caddy wiring (heavier wiring) at the same time. [2] The 60Ah traction battery at 17kg is exactly the same weight as a typical 4 stroke 2.5hp outboard motor. ;-(
Reply to
T i m

Yes Brian, the external connectors go straight to the battery, just via a 40A resettable fuse.

Understood. Not in this case luckily.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m