Certainly not DIY , but ....

....someone here is sure to know the answer.

I had a brief incarceration very recently (not at Her Majesty's Pleasure !) in the local hospital to have knee keyhole surgery. This is why this is not DIY!. I got round to having a bath this morning and one of those sticky sensors they slap on just before they knock you out, came off my back.

Anybody know what these are for as I seem to remember a number being stuck on me. Electrical connection is just one way via a pop connector - and actually I now realise when I went to say the connector is like an antistatic strap, that these must measure resistance for some reason. the sensor looks like a thin metal plate with some film on it.

Who's the medical guru round here ?

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

robgraham wibbled on Wednesday 25 November 2009 14:32

Heart monitor pad they forgot to take off? Those measure little electrical signals from the heart, so they are just a single connection conductive sticky pad - of course there would have been more than one originally as you noted.

Reply to
Tim W

OK, Tim but how does it work with only one connection - where's the return circuit? Actually they most be totally disposable as that was the third I found.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

robgraham wibbled on Wednesday 25 November 2009 14:58

They use several pads and wires back to the machine :)

Reply to
Tim W

Umm. Somehow you've been disconnected from the world inside the Matrix after ye took the red pill. Find Morpheus, quick.

Reply to
Adrian C

Yep I'm with Adrian on this. I think you may find it is your external battery-pack, you may start to slow down, your speech will slur, eyesight squint before you finally ...STOP!

Or

You have been tagged, your every movement and every word is being logged by big brother

or

It's one of those bar-coded things to stop mad women walking out with other people's babies try going into HMV with it on and see if you set off alarm bells!

Reply to
Ron O'Brien

The skin on your back is peeling, and you're actually a cyborg.

(better answers already taken, bah :-)

Reply to
Jules

Hope you have a speedy recovery. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

Typically 6 of them AFAIK; however on your chest not your back (AFAIK again).

Maybe one got dropped while being removed and forgotten about, then reattached itself out of position?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Yes they are for an ECG machine to monitor your heart rate. There would have been several of them, it's one they forgot to take off I imagine.

Reply to
Ben Short

I suppose I should have thought of the ECG machine, and then I would have looked up

most of the answers are, and not bothered you !!

Knee is doing fine - and a plug for the NHS at St Johns, Livingston; couldn't have been better looked after.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I think the number depends on how thorough they are being. It can be much more than six. When I did clinical trials I had them on chest and back and ankles as well.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

In message , robgraham writes

I've had minor surgery on the NHS three times, both of my children were born in NHS hospitals under NHS care, my partner has had a couple of minor surgical procedures on the NHS and never have we had anything to complain about apart from boredom. I suspect the whingers are just that for the most part.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Clint Sharp wibbled on Friday 27 November 2009 17:02

Likewise re generally good service. But the hospital (Pembury) that both of mine were born at rather got the shitty end of the stick WRT to MRSA related deaths (along with Maidstone adn T Wells) and crappy cleaning.

We were lucky, the maternity wards seemed to have a bit extra care put into them. Needless to say, it's all *very* shiny now...

Stupid thing is that hygiene and killing germs is a long ago solved problem. It's only getting fscked up because of cretinous dogma regarding subcontracting everything out (ie ward sister can't bollock the cleaners - well not officially anyway) and also, because people get lazy periodically...

Reply to
Tim W

Or try

there an angle grinder for kids:-)?