Completely OT - bedtime for children

AFAIK all versions of MSword will save to RTF and you can get add ons for PDF.

Reply to
Mark

Then you can't receive much spam. The version of Outlook I have here can only filter based on sender address!

Reply to
Mark

Well, install one then.

Reply to
Mark

That's a good thing. If an application has locked a file it is for a good reason.

Reply to
Mark

Reply to
Mark

Knock the garage down ;-) Actually we did although we built a new garage in a slightly different location.

Ah. Maybe you can train the kids to eat stuff they don't like.

You obviously have different admission rules there. In our area siblings come before geographical area and catchment areas don't really have any meaning any more. (Primary schools don't have catchment areas at all and secondary school catchments are generally the whole county).

If it's a church school isn't there a "regular churchgoer" criteria?

Reply to
Mark

Hmmm.. outlook 2007 is what i use. It has automatic filtering (low, medium, high, and safe lists), the filters are updated on a regular basis by M$. It also has filters based on various keywords in various fields, etc.

Reply to
dennis

But that's not what's happening. The app has the file open, that's all. It may even have it open for writing. But that's no excuse for preventing it being moved/renamed, neither of which have anything to do with the file content, or any danger thereto.

Word 2008 and my text editor simply update what they have as filename/path, if I move/rename the file under it. No problem at all.The trouble with Windows is it does *everything* by file path, so 1970s.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Criterion. Criteria is the plural.

Reply to
Tim Streater

To be fair, that is partly an application decision which applies to *nix.

If you keep the file open on nix, then you can move the name as much as you like.

If you do an open-read-close and an open-write-close on nix you'll get the same "1970's" behaviour.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The stupid thing is that it could do it right. The reason it does everything by file path is that it would be very difficult to do anything else with FAT technology. But NTFS doesn't work like that - its structure is similar (some might say superior) to the typical UNIX structure, and it has the equivalent of inodes (it was invented pretty well around the same time, as it happens). So on an NTFS-only system, one could actually do it right if Windows allowed it.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Our SuperBeam/ProSteel/EuroBeam programs don't lock files that you are currently working on, but you make wonder whether they should. If you open MyProject.sbw in SB and then go and rename the file in Explorer to Project1234.sbw, what ought to happen if the user presses now selects 'Save' in SB? Save the data back under the original file name, effectively replacing the one you've just renamed/deleted/moved? Save it under the new name that you've given the file, though you may have renamed it for a good reason (e.g. it was yesterday's wip so you renamed it as MyProject110523). Or just disable 'Save' and force the user to go through File, Save As to explicitly get them to nominate what name they want.

There are things Windows could be criticised for, but this is not IMO one of them.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

That depends on whether you keep the file open for the session or not.

If you do, I *assume* you will just keep writing to the file handle and you won't be aware that it's moved (as would be the case on nix)

If you re-open the file for the "save" then you have a choice.

If you test that the file no longer exists then you might be inclined[1] to alert the user conditions have change and offer a Save As (perhaps even with the original filename filled in, if that is possible).

What you won't be able to determine is the new name of the file, if the user has moved it, so that option is out anyway for the open-read-close, open- write-close case.

[1] There's no right answer here - what would *you* expect to happen - what would be more helpful without beinga PITA?

Cheers,

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

But OS X has a mechanism for alerting apps about things happening in the file system. If, at the command line, I rename a file, then any Finder window displaying that filename updates with the new name pretty quick. Likewise other apps. TextWrangler displays the filename and path near the top of the window where you're editing it. This also changes pretty quick, too. So the app has the new filename if it has been renamed. Even Word 2008 does this, which pleasantly surprised me when I noticed it.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yup, been around in other systems for years too. OS/2 had it back in

1992. Not sure how long BSD and Linux have had it...funnily enough I'm using the BSD version right now for security scans of files.
Reply to
Bob Eager

Right, so we just need to get Windows sorted out and everything will be peachy. Oh ...

Reply to
Tim Streater

Our garage is in the back garden and due to the shape of the garden, we have to do a bit of an S-bend alongside and behind the kitchen to get to the garage. Extending it even by inches in either direction would make it impossible to get through.

It'd be more useful to train me ;)

Unfortunately we are stuck with the rules that we've got.

When the new priest started, this was mentioned, but he didn't do anything about it. He is now beginning to make rumblings about it, but the chances of the rules being changed by October (which is when we need to apply for the following September intake) are pretty low.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Could be different exam boards - ours was probably JMB (Joint Matriculation Board), but we also did some with TWYLREB (The West Yorkshire and Lyndsey Regional Examination Board IIRC). I'd have to dig out my certificates to find out which.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

As as been stated elsewhere MS files are an ISO standard. That's immaterial anyway, as most people have some software that will read amd write MS files and it is in effect a de-facto standard. Just like people in many countries use English to converse with foreigners, even if it is not their native language.

My phone can read MS docs, it can't do PDFs as standard. Many offices use older version of MS Office and would have the additional costs of adding PDF writing functionality.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

In my case that can be somewhat difficult. I am not talking about PDFs here, as I can read and write those, but I am restricted with other documents. I cannot install anything on the PCs at work. We are running on Windows XP, with Office 2003 and have only recently upgraded to IE7. Our PCs are part of a network approved to hold Restricted documents and are very tightly controlled, patched, etc. and nothing that has not been thoroughly tested for a very extended period can be installed and even then, only by the administrators.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker