Anyone know anything about OE6?

I'd appreciate some help snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk

TIA

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Not to use it?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Give us a clue what your problem is, and we may be able to help more effectively :-}

If you need a backup solution though, try OEQBFULL - at least that way, if you completely fluck up your attept at recovery, you stand some chance of getting your email back !

Reply to
Colin Wilson

OK. Finally sorted SWMBOs PC problem by using a Belkin wired router. Her e mail works fine (Vista/Windows Mail Live).

A random number of e mails sent to me (XP Home/OE6) appear in her Windows Mail inbox, but not in my inbox. No pattern to it that I can see.

Two probs, I'm missing e mail that could be work related & SWMBO is getting fed up with unwanted e mails!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Hmm ok, does your web host provide any email facilities, such as redirection / multiple accounts ?

It might be worth setting a couple up, that way she can get hers, and you get yours via "independant" accounts.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Yes. It's a piece of shit.

If it were possible to delete it without further crippling the "operating system" on which it runs, then that would be advisable.

Your best solution would be to buy a Mac.

The second best would be to install Linux, OpenOffice and a better mail/news application such as Thunderbird on your PC

The third best would be to install (e.g.) Thunderbird on what you have now. It will even run on crippled "operating systems".

Reply to
Andy Hall

You need separate POP accounts from your ISP.

You need to install Windows Vista. Here's how:

Andy Hall

I'm sure that there *is* a pattern to it. I guess that you're sharing a single email account which allows multiple addresses - e.g. snipped-for-privacy@handyman.yourISP.com and snipped-for-privacy@handyman.yourISP.com If so, the basic email address will be handyman.yourISP.com - and mail sent to anything_you snipped-for-privacy@handyman.yourISP.com will all end up in the same mailbox on your ISP's server. When you download it to your PCs, which PC it ends up on (if either) will firstly depend on exactly how the email accounts are set up in OE6 (or any other email client which you use - it makes no difference) and secondly on which PC is the first to do a mail collection after a particular email has been posted. By default, as soon as an email as been downloaded to a PC, it is deleted off the server - so it appears on the first PC but not the second. There is, however, an option to leave a copy on the server if you tick the appropriate box in the OE account setup dialogue - then both PCs can download the same message - but you need *some* way of deleting them, otherwise they keep getting repeatedly dowloaded!.

Send me a private email if you want some more specific advice. [The address in the header *does* work - but I only look at it about once a month - so you *must* indicate here that you've sent me a PM].

Reply to
Roger Mills

IIRC you use (in VM ex-Blueyonder speak) one mailbox with 3 aliases in use, and SWMBOBY uses another mailbox with 1 alias in use. If so:

a. can you confirm it is definitely mail to your mailbox which is ending up on her PC? and if so b. if you have deliberately set up her PC with that mailbox, why since there seems no need (unless eg you want to download mail to both machines for backup purposes) ?

I would start by double (triple?) checking that her PC is set up with only the one mailbox and that not yours.

If there are no other and better folk around who are used to mailbox/alias system I'd be happy to waffle further on them here or by mail etc: snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk

Reply to
neverwas

Yes we are. snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk and snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk

Having said that, my address is actually 'abcd12345' and SWMBO's os 'abcd12345_1'

Makes sense - sort of :-)

OK, so the problem seems to be how the accounts are set up. The 'which PC is first' would account for the random nature.

Aha! Perfect sense!

OK, makes sense to me. How do I set up the 'leave a copy on the server' thing? SWMBO only uses Live Mail, not Mail so as long as we both got the e-mail it wouldn't be a problem - I could just go into her Mail & delete as required.

Thanks ever so Roger. How would I set up the 'leave a copy on the server' thing?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Correct.

Yes it is. My address is abcd12345 and hers is abcd12345_1. The mail should be addressed to abcd12345 not abcd12345_1

Her mailbox is set up to abcd12345_1

Its set up for abcd12345_1

Thanks.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

If you are still struggling after the advice provided here, try

24hoursupport.helpdesk

Whilst as in any newsgroup there are shall we say less than helpful folk, it is a font of wisdom on these sorts of problems.

There are also dedicated OE6 NGs.

Reply to
Clot

Tools-> Accounts...

Click "mail" tab

Click entry for your email account and then click "Properties"

Click "Advanced" tab

Tick "Leave copy of message on server" checkbox Tick "Remove from server after" checkbox Enter a couple of days in the numeric field. OK your way out of all the dialogs.

If you use this setting on one PC, and on the other don't bother setting the remove option - let one machine do all the deleting.

(if you do this in Thunderbird it is smart enough to not download the same messages more than once... not tried it in OE ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

OE is the same

Also if you don't want to download her mail onto your PC and the reverse! Tools-> Accounts> Mail> 'mail account' > General then uncheck 'Include this account when sending or receiving' you can stilll do this manually if required from the send/receive tab

We do exactly the same, swmbo usually reads her mail from the web but sometimes needs to save or print something out. and having 2 similar OE setups on different PC's can do exactly what you are describing

Des

Reply to
Dieseldes

Thanks John, you are a star.

Not in Kent obviously :-)

I now seen to be getting my stuff - but twice!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I hope you are fully sorted after the advice from John et al on how to set up the 2 PCs to leave copies on server etc. If so, the question *why* mail was going to the wrong PC doesn't need to be answered. But FWIW

o if you have ever given out addresses in terms of abcd12345 or abcd12345_1 that might just possibly have led to people using the wrong one (if only by mistake). I think it is safer only to give out the alias (such as davidlan.........). That also has the benefit that you can change the alias if the spam becomes intolerable.

o if you want to get to the bottom of what was going on you could post the details of an email which went to your PC and of one which went to the other PC. (You can copy the details from OE6 by right clicking on the message, then selecting properties. Then in the pop-up select the "details" tab, select all the text and copy it as usual.)

Reply to
neverwas

More seriously.....

- Sharing single POP accounts and trying to control who gets what by use of selective downloads on different machines is not a reliable solution.

- It isn't a reliable solution if used on one or more than one machine.

- Relying on selective download of messages with some pulled and others left behind on the server is not reliable.

- Having a POP account each and restricting access by machine can work reasonably - i.e. user 1 on machine A accesses their person POP account and user 2 on machine B accesses theirs. As soon as User 1 tries to access user 1's account on machine B, there is a risk of mail ending up in the wrong places.

- Having an IMAP account each at the ISP is the way to go. In this scenario, mail folders per user are maintained on the ISP's server. The user accesses with their email client in a similar way as they do for POP (at least as far as everyday use is concerned) and either headers only are downloaded followed by a download and cache for a message as the user opens it, or all messages are downloaded and cached locally. The crucial difference to POP is that a copy is left on the server until explictly deleted by the user. Their locally cached copy is effectively synchronised wih the server copy. This has the additional advantage that now User 1 can have a log in account on machine A and on machine B and User 2 likewise. Each user can access their mail from either machine and the set of mail messages and folders will remain unique to them without cross overs and messages ending up in the wrong places. It will also handle the case of User 1 logs into machine A and deletes some messages from their account. When they then log into machine B, te messages will disappear from there as well.

IMAP accounts each is the correct way to solve your problem. Even OE6 supports it, although other clients do it better. If you continue to use POP you will always be pissing around for one non obvious reason or another.

Reply to
Andy Hall

If I ubnderstand your problem you just need to set up a couple of message rules (Tools/Message Rules/ Mail). Oh her PC set one rule saying if the 'To' field contains David don't download it from the server and tick "stop processing more rules". On your PCs set the rule to if the 'To' field contains Geraldine don't download it from the server, and tick "stop processing more rules".

Apply everything and that should sort it. Sorry if this doesn't make sense to you but Iknow what I am trying to say, have a look in the message rules option and play around by send test emails to and from both machines till you get it right.

HTH

John

Reply to
John

This is not guaranteed to work properly. OE6 rule handling does not behave reliably, and there is a high risk of lost and duplicated messages.

Reply to
Andy Hall

and it wd probably involve more than one simple rule as there are 3 aliases to consider as well as the mailbox address, plus mail which is copied to rather than addressed to them.

Reply to
neverwas