Changing propane cylinders

In message , Mike Tomlinson writes

Good point. Presumably, bubbles just means applying a little more pressure to the spanner, until no more bubbles.

Reply to
News

Do you still get a discount if you turn up with an empty though? I also remember the two different regulators for Calor and Gaz, and those dinky little washers in the top of the screw on end. Never used to get leaks, so the system must have worked. Of course there was always a bit of a pong when you changed them due to the left overs in the plumbing. Which leads me to a question. In our old science classes we were shown the effect of the explosive mixture by filling a can with gas, shoving a lid on it and putting a hole in one end, lighting it and retiring to a safe distance. IE when the gas and air mixture was just right it exploded. Why does this not happen in camping situations? Is it something to do with the regulator... I hope! Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

I think in this case its to make sure the person gets the message that its not just any old pipe, though to be fair, anyone who sees a tank of gas has to be the biggest idiot on the planet if they don't know it is flammable! Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

The single central nut being the driver one supposes? :-)

Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

I'd hope with two cylinders he already has a change over valve, but please don't let it make you lazy in getting the empty replaced or sooner or later both end up empty.... Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Ours was the armstrong kind, ie it had a lever which went left for one and right for the other, hardly rocket science.

Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Don't think so. Lots of variation over the world. Some give presents on Christmas Eve or the day after. Its all a bit mix and match. Does it really matter, its all made up rubbish, so make it up as you go along! Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

That assumes they person changing the tank knows that threads are normally "righty tighty", "lefty loosey".

Stops the idiot connecting to almost anything else. I'm using the word "connecting" in a very broad sense. Flexible hose too short? Just extend with ordinary plumbing bits, though idiot finding they don't fit would proably cut the HP hose, stick in a bit of LP hose, joined by what ever bit of tube will fit the inside of the hose held in place with randomly sized jubilee clips, remember this is the HP side...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Something on bikes are LH threaded, most obviously the LH pedal, to stop it coming loose

Reply to
Chris French

It's true, righthanded people are actually either handed, but were taught to be right handed at school or by their parents. Left handed people are only able to use their left hand, so are inferior.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Oh, we're talking about Nascar. Do they ever do reverse laps?

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Let's see, someone who doesn't know what they're doing tries to tighten it a bit to be safe, then lets more gas out.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

He must be jealous of people who can afford cars that go faster than his.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

I always thought I was right handed - certainly for writing, and playing stringed instruments. However, the first time I fired a bow and arrow, the instructor noted I had actually - and naturally - held it left handed. A quick experiment showed that I felt totally at ease (and actually not bad) left-handed, and hopeless right handed. Weird, since I have fired an air-rifle definitely right-handed.

Then a few years ago, I started getting pains in my right (mousing) hand. This isn't unusual in IT, and the stock response is to simply lift the mouse up, and put it on the LHS of the desk and carry on.

I tried this, but couldn't work it. Then I swapped the mouse buttons over and - voila - totally natural. To the extent that I currently mouse left- handed all the time. Even left handers I have worked with haven't swapped buttons.

(A few years ago, I went for a technical test for a job. They had a PC all ready to go. I sat down, moved the mouse and asked for it to be set up for a left handed person. The person running the test didn't know it was possible. Their first line IT support didn't know how to do it(!), and it had been disabled in policy management anyway. Thank God I wasn't blind.).

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I have. I am naturally right handed but I had a temporary problem which meant I had to 'mouse' with my left hand. It actually works better for me (I can take notes with my right if necessary, and turn pages etc). But I'm happy to use my right hand to 'mouse' as well.

I am rodentially ambidextrous.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I was talking about all wire-wheeled cars, such as MG-TC, and their ilk.

I don't talk about Nascar, except in rare circumstances.

Reply to
Davey

For some reason I was thinking about the steering wheel.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

I'm split. I tend to pick things up with my right hand, and fiddle with them with my left - left for accuracy, right for power.

My sport is dinghy racing, and for that you have to be totally ambidextrous.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

The nut behind the wheel, that one.

Reply to
Davey

Are you jealous of someone who can afford a faster car than you?

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265