Buying a propane cylinder.

Our new* camper arrived with one cylinder, but space for two.

Plenty of people will sell the gas, but not the cylinder it seems..if I want to make it two cylinders, so as not to actually run out, where do I buy one?

  • to us anyway. :-)
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

SJP

Many people (but not usually garages) will supply it but you have to pay a deposit. However, getting the deposit back again on a empty cylinder is not easy so people do sell them empty.

try uk.rec.waterways

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

"liberate" one from the local tip when it's raining and the staff are indoors.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

seems..if I

What make / style is it? Recently I couldn't give away some cylinders I had kicking around.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

£20 will get you one full bottle at a local filling station,this will give you the bottle.
Reply to
George

I have noticed that the bottled gas goes up down in summer and up in winter. So take this into consideration. When I used to have a butane heater it cost £12 in winter and £9.50 in summer.

Robbing bleeders

Reply to
George

i don't know really. 5kg calor propane? red cylinder anyway. Tap and reverse thread for pipe/regualtor.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

well not e ones i tried. exchange only.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah well different localities. I go to a yard on the dock area by me and he sells gas...£10 if you bring in a bottle and £20 if you dont have a bottle £10 is the deposit on the bottle. Calor gas themselves wont do this and you have to have their bottles only,or thats what the blokey in calor gas said?

Put an ad in freecycle for one, someones bound to have one. :-)

Reply to
George
5= snipped-for-privacy@iris.uk.clara.net...

Maybe you got a real bargain in summer.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

cylinders

Shame - their was one of those in the batch - eventually had to take them to the tip and persuade them to take them

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I went to my local Calor Gas outlet (next to Mortimer station, Berkshire) and they quite happily sold me a new cylinder.

Reply to
Steve Pearce

Any Calor centre will provide the cylinder, or rather a cylinder filled with gas without having to pay a deposit. The local garage demanded £30 deposit for a 15Kg cylinder and in the end, being in a hurry and a long way from a Calor centre, I "bought" one from the local dodgy bloke for £5 and then went to the garage and swapped it and 18 drinking tokens for a full one.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Further to other replies...

Will you be taking said camper overseas? Because if so, and if for peace of mind you want to retain the facility of being able to buy more gas over the channel, then realistically you have to have the dreaded Camping Gaz. So you might want to give consideration to your 'spare' cylinder being a Camping Gaz one (not that you'd want to use it routinely as it costs an arm and a leg.)

We have at home one large cylinder of Calor gas, with a regulator plus 2 adaptor hoses to fit both our home-based barbeque and the little gas stove which we take camping. We also have a smaller Camping Gaz cylinder, also with the dual regulator/adaptor setup, which serves as a back-up both at home and when away camping. System works well!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Talking of B&Q......................

Don't buy gas there - rip off merchants.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In message , The Natural Philosopher writes

You pay a deposit on the second cylinder rather than buy one. PLenty of places sell it, just look up calor gas, flo gas or whatever flavour you have in yellow pages

Reply to
geoff

Funnily enough I was researching this and came to a aimliar conclusin. But that is necxt year.

The general feeling seems to be that a gas cylinder should last a whole summer actually, and two would get us to greece and back OK. especally if hooking up the fridge to the mains.

Yes. I will look into that.

Serendipitously a fried phoned up after some flexible flue liner and he actually has a spare cylinder we think..so a swap is in order.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Plenty will "sell" the cylinder, although Calor claim that no cylinders are, or can ever be, sold (merely rented).

If you need one, the refillers will usually arrange the supply of one for a sizable deposit. If you try about half of the local tips round here, they'll happily supply you with one for a paltry sum (£2.50 + VAT, any size). Pick the right one and you get half a tank of gas free.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@damia.uk.clara.net:

Coincidentally I have done the same-ish thing this week, but for a gas barbecue bought as an end-of-season bargain.

The price for a 13kg cylinder of propane at the local Calor dealer (a trade tool hire place) is £18 exchange, or a further £30 for a deposit if no empty to exchange.

That seemed a bit steep, so I tried the local council tip - but it's been privatised, and they were clearly being 'watched' and under orders not to flog stuff off...

So I went to the local scrap dealer, where the price of a pint saw me drive away with an empty. And then back for an full exchange cylinder...

Any size / type (ie butane / propane / 'patio gas') of cylinder will do - the deposit is the same. Just make sure you get a Calor one. Why? Because dealers only exchange their 'own' cylinders and not those of rivals, and Calor is the leading brand, sold everywhere (?) in the UK.

As others have said, if you're planning to travel in Europe, a Camping Gaz cylinder would be useful. Be aware that the regulator is different again (as indeed it is between butane / propane / 'patio gas').

A quick Google will find all sorts of useful gadgets such as auto changeover valves, info on different regulator types etc. And once you know what you want, eBay has lots of bargains...

Hope this helps

Reply to
Richard Perkin