Buying a propane cylinder.

Our new* camper arrived with one cylinder, but space for two.
Plenty of people will sell the gas, but not the cylinder it seems..if I want to make it two cylinders, so as not to actually run out, where do I buy one?
* to us anyway. :-)

www.ebay.co.uk

Many people (but not usually garages) will supply it but you have to pay a deposit. However, getting the deposit back again on a empty cylinder is not easy so people do sell them empty.
try uk.rec.waterways
Robert

"liberate" one from the local tip when it's raining and the staff are indoors.
--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

seems..if I

do I

What make / style is it? Recently I couldn't give away some cylinders I had kicking around.
AWEM
Andrew Mawson wrote:

i don't know really. 5kg calor propane? red cylinder anyway. Tap and reverse thread for pipe/regualtor.

where
cylinders
Shame - their was one of those in the batch - eventually had to take them to the tip and persuade them to take them
AWEM

20 will get you one full bottle at a local filling station,this will give you the bottle.
George wrote:

well not e ones i tried. exchange only.

give
Ah well different localities. I go to a yard on the dock area by me and he sells gas...10 if you bring in a bottle and 20 if you dont have a bottle 10 is the deposit on the bottle. Calor gas themselves wont do this and you have to have their bottles only,or thats what the blokey in calor gas said?
Put an ad in freecycle for one, someones bound to have one. :-)

I went to my local Calor Gas outlet (next to Mortimer station, Berkshire) and they quite happily sold me a new cylinder.
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Our local lawn mower and farm tool supplier seems to flog them with no deposit... Bought a large 47kg one a few months back - can't remember the price but it was not particularly large (50 ish perhaps). A number of garden centres also seem to do them.
--
Cheers,

John.

I have noticed that the bottled gas goes up down in summer and up in winter. So take this into consideration. When I used to have a butane heater it cost 12 in winter and 9.50 in summer.
Robbing bleeders

Maybe you got a real bargain in summer.
MBQ
George wrote:

Talking of B&Q......................
Don't buy gas there - rip off merchants.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Any Calor centre will provide the cylinder, or rather a cylinder filled with gas without having to pay a deposit. The local garage demanded 30 deposit for a 15Kg cylinder and in the end, being in a hurry and a long way from a Calor centre, I "bought" one from the local dodgy bloke for 5 and then went to the garage and swapped it and 18 drinking tokens for a full one.
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Further to other replies...
Will you be taking said camper overseas? Because if so, and if for peace of mind you want to retain the facility of being able to buy more gas over the channel, then realistically you have to have the dreaded Camping Gaz. So you might want to give consideration to your 'spare' cylinder being a Camping Gaz one (not that you'd want to use it routinely as it costs an arm and a leg.)
We have at home one large cylinder of Calor gas, with a regulator plus 2 adaptor hoses to fit both our home-based barbeque and the little gas stove which we take camping. We also have a smaller Camping Gaz cylinder, also with the dual regulator/adaptor setup, which serves as a back-up both at home and when away camping. System works well!
David
Lobster wrote:

Funnily enough I was researching this and came to a aimliar conclusin. But that is necxt year.
The general feeling seems to be that a gas cylinder should last a whole summer actually, and two would get us to greece and back OK. especally if hooking up the fridge to the mains.

Yes. I will look into that.
Serendipitously a fried phoned up after some flexible flue liner and he actually has a spare cylinder we think..so a swap is in order.

Coincidentally I have done the same-ish thing this week, but for a gas barbecue bought as an end-of-season bargain.
The price for a 13kg cylinder of propane at the local Calor dealer (a trade tool hire place) is 18 exchange, or a further 30 for a deposit if no empty to exchange.
That seemed a bit steep, so I tried the local council tip - but it's been privatised, and they were clearly being 'watched' and under orders not to flog stuff off...
So I went to the local scrap dealer, where the price of a pint saw me drive away with an empty. And then back for an full exchange cylinder...
Any size / type (ie butane / propane / 'patio gas') of cylinder will do - the deposit is the same. Just make sure you get a Calor one. Why? Because dealers only exchange their 'own' cylinders and not those of rivals, and Calor is the leading brand, sold everywhere (?) in the UK.
As others have said, if you're planning to travel in Europe, a Camping Gaz cylinder would be useful. Be aware that the regulator is different again (as indeed it is between butane / propane / 'patio gas').
A quick Google will find all sorts of useful gadgets such as auto changeover valves, info on different regulator types etc. And once you know what you want, eBay has lots of bargains...
Hope this helps
--
Richard Perkin
To email me, change the <AT> in the address below
Richard Perkin wrote:

Immensely.
Once I googled may way aroud a bit, I discovered what you say is incredibly true.
Calor is the brand to go for. No one will pay you for empty cylinders at all. Calor will donate a fiver to charity for unwanted cylinders. And yet they want 10-20 quid for an empty they supply.
he disjunct betwen pepel who want cylinders and people who have 50 lying around in the shed, seems huge!