Changing propane cylinders

Regulars may remember the conversations we had earlier this year regarding the installation of a used Rangemaster cooker, which went well, with a gas man running a copper pipe from the kitchen, through an external wall to two 47kg Calor Gas propane orange cylinders. One of the cylinders is now empty. Before I attack the thing, do I remember reading that the connection to the cylinder is left hand thread?
When I get the new cylinder, is there anything special about the connection? Any tape or gunk to make a seal, or just tighten well with a larger spanner?
--
Graeme

I use small propane cylinders (?19kg) to fire a gas pottery kiln. Yes, the threads are left handed, as are the threads on all combustible gas containers AIUI, and no, you don't need any sort of sealing tape or gunge to make the seal. As you say, just a big spanner, but do remember the LHS thread bit!
--

Chris

Why are any threads left hand? Standards, man, standards!
--
Marriage changes passion. Suddenly you're in bed with a relative.

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 19:38:06 +0100, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

If it's a nut tightening a pulley on a shaft, the direction of rotation may necessitate it.

My brush cutter (a strimmer on steroids which you can put a blade on the end of) has a reverse nut. I assume it's something to do with the direction the blade has to spin so when it jams it kicks the strimmer away from you instead of bruising your leg and tripping you up. But, 2 problems with that: 1) The blade is sitting on a shaped centre piece, so isn't forcing the nut. 2) Never mind 2, I worked it out backwards when looking at if it would loosen or not when jammed.
I have seen one used stupidly on a small butane camping cylinder - there were TWO attachments, with one thread the opposite way round, so you loosen one while you're trying to tighten the other.
--
Peter is listening to "DJ Splash - Bass is kicking"

I think in this case its to make sure the person gets the message that its not just any old pipe, though to be fair, anyone who sees a tank of gas has to be the biggest idiot on the planet if they don't know it is flammable! Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 08:25:54 +0100, Brian-Gaff wrote:

That assumes they person changing the tank knows that threads are normally "righty tighty", "lefty loosey".

Stops the idiot connecting to almost anything else. I'm using the word "connecting" in a very broad sense. Flexible hose too short? Just extend with ordinary plumbing bits, though idiot finding they don't fit would proably cut the HP hose, stick in a bit of LP hose, joined by what ever bit of tube will fit the inside of the hose held in place with randomly sized jubilee clips, remember this is the HP side...
--
Cheers
Dave.

--
Paper clips are the larval stage of coat hangers.

Something on bikes are LH threaded, most obviously the LH pedal, to stop it coming loose
--
Chris French

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 19:38:06 +0100, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

Sports cars with a single central nut....

Most of those are right handed. Left handed people are inferior.
--
"Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts."

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 21:33:45 +0100, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

What a pillock you are.

It's true, righthanded people are actually either handed, but were taught to be right handed at school or by their parents. Left handed people are only able to use their left hand, so are inferior.
--
If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to see it, do the other trees make fun of it?

On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 15:11:54 +0100, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

I always thought I was right handed - certainly for writing, and playing stringed instruments. However, the first time I fired a bow and arrow, the instructor noted I had actually - and naturally - held it left handed. A quick experiment showed that I felt totally at ease (and actually not bad) left-handed, and hopeless right handed. Weird, since I have fired an air-rifle definitely right-handed.
Then a few years ago, I started getting pains in my right (mousing) hand. This isn't unusual in IT, and the stock response is to simply lift the mouse up, and put it on the LHS of the desk and carry on.
I tried this, but couldn't work it. Then I swapped the mouse buttons over and - voila - totally natural. To the extent that I currently mouse left- handed all the time. Even left handers I have worked with haven't swapped buttons.
(A few years ago, I went for a technical test for a job. They had a PC all ready to go. I sat down, moved the mouse and asked for it to be set up for a left handed person. The person running the test didn't know it was possible. Their first line IT support didn't know how to do it(!), and it had been disabled in policy management anyway. Thank God I wasn't blind.).
On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 14:36:15 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

I have. I am naturally right handed but I had a temporary problem which meant I had to 'mouse' with my left hand. It actually works better for me (I can take notes with my right if necessary, and turn pages etc). But I'm happy to use my right hand to 'mouse' as well.
I am rodentially ambidextrous.
On 21/09/2015 16:56, Bob Eager wrote:

I'm split. I tend to pick things up with my right hand, and fiddle with them with my left - left for accuracy, right for power.
My sport is dinghy racing, and for that you have to be totally ambidextrous.
Andy
On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 21:33:45 +0100

They are handed to suit the direction of travel, so that the nut is tightened as the car is driven. So 50-50.
--
Davey.

Oh, we're talking about Nascar. Do they ever do reverse laps?
--
More and more cities are instituting a 10:30 PM curfew for everyone younger than 18.
Experts say keeping teens indoors at night is the only way to make the streets safe for adults.

I was talking about all wire-wheeled cars, such as MG-TC, and their ilk.
I don't talk about Nascar, except in rare circumstances.
--
Davey.

For some reason I was thinking about the steering wheel.
--
Keith was explaining to his sister how to jump start a car.
"I explained about which cables to hook up where and in what order.