Calor gas connections

My cooker runs on calor gas. I have two 47kg cylinders, both connected by rubber hoses to a switchover valve on the outside wall.
One hose is red and connected at both ends by a jubilee clip. It is perished and leaking at the cylinder end. The other hose is black and has a different type of connection at each end, via a kind of nozzle held onto the hose by a metal collar, and connected to the cylinder and valve by brass hex nuts.
I inherited this set-up. Obviously I need to change the red hose. Anyone know how to specify what I should order? Is it easy to fit these things yourself?
--
Les

I could be wrong but I suspect that the regulator and hoses are the property of Calor. I'd certainly ring them first before doing anything.
Tim
On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 11:25:58 +0000 (UTC)

Even if not, then they will have the best hoses with fittings. Take a photo and show them.
https://www.calor.co.uk/gas-bottles/gas-cylinder-safety/using-hoses-and-tubing
--
Davey.

I have a similar setup (without the leak) and the hoses and regulator most certainly aren't the property of Calor - I should know since I installed them.
I bought them from a tool-hire place that also sells bottled gas.

Are the hoses like my black one (which is a BS3212/2 high pressure hose)? Is it easy to connect them up without leaks?
--
Les

Agreed. My hoses and regulator were installed a couple of weeks ago, and I paid for them.
--
Graeme

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 16:48:52 +0100, harryagain wrote:

er bollocks. You will - *if* you have the original hire agreement which comes with them.

Yep,I've had refunds on gas bottles before, (with the original receipt or whatever). They won't without as they are otherwise popular target for stealing to get the refund
--
Chris French

But only a partial refund. It's a sliding scale that decreases with years of "ownership". Calor used to list all the details on their website but it would seem now that you have to phone them. I wonder why they've gone all coy about their miserable refunds? It's almost as if they don't want you to know...
Tim
On Fri, 24 Apr 2015 12:00:22 +0100, Tim+ wrote:

Presumably they degrade with time ?

The deposits certainly do.
Tim
On Fri, 24 Apr 2015 13:55:21 +0100, Tim+ wrote:

:)
ISTR the cylinders are some sort of mild steel. Does LPG have a corrosive effect over time ? They all come stamped with serial numbers. IIRC the original design dates back to 1947. They had the original technical drawings round the corner in operations, when I worked there. In a special filing cabinet for such things ...

No they're perfectly OK. The main capital investment for a gas supplier is the bottles and basically you the customer are buying them for Calor.
--
bert

Only up to five years old and on a pro-rata basis up until then.
--
bert

On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 11:25:58 +0000 (UTC), Tim+ wrote:

Bulk tanks are the proprty of the supplier and you are, AIUI, tied to that supplier.
You can buy 47 kg cylinders from any where and from any body. You can buy the change over valve/regulator over the counter in a decent plumbers merchant.
The hose from cylinder to regulator needs to be a high pressure one. I thought that orange was HP and black LP but looking at BES:
http://www.bes.co.uk/products/064.asp http://www.bes.co.uk/products/071.asp
It's not that clear cut as the changeover/regulator kits come with black hose. Hoses normally have some printing on giving rating etc. Maybe it's a UV thing? More research required on that.
Shouldn't be difficult to change the hoses. Several sizes available and use stainless jubilee clips to hold the hose on, don't skimp on hose length.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On Thursday, 23 April 2015 18:13:05 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:

I think the different fittings mean he has a choice of supplier -useful if one of them wants to be funny about supplies.
Go Outdoors .co.uk has a selection of these things in plain view if you ever need to ponder the alternatives.
On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 11:55:31 -0700 (PDT), Weatherlawyer wrote:

This is bottled not bulk gas. You can buy from anywhere from your local garage to calor direct. Connector types differentiate the gas not the supplier.
AFAIAA propane (orange) cylinders all have the lefthand thread taper POL connector and hand valve. The POL can connect to hose (at high pressure) or a regulator.
Butane (blue) cylinders have a clip on connector that operates a valve in the cylinder connector when fitted. I don't think you can get a clip on that doesn't have a regulator.
Patio gas butane/propane mix? (green) has a different connector, something akin to the butane one I think.
Below that you have the tiddly cylinders that campers use for camping stoves or lanterns. They can be proprietary, Camping Gaz, but a lot use a standard 10 mm(?) screw on thing.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Thanks. Mine are orange for propane. What does POL mean?
--
Les

On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 21:49:52 +0100, Big Les Wade wrote:

LMGTFY - http://rvbasics.com/techtips/rv-propane-tank-valves.html
POL - Prest-O-Lite name of the company that first produced the valve/connector.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Thanks to all for your help. I have switched the good (black) hose onto the full cylinder and junked the leaky red hose, with the aid of nothing more complex than a spanner. Calor say they will supply and connect a new hose for £10 when they bring me a new (full) cylinder this week.
--
Les