"% Chance of rain"

No, all it says is "Rain: 60%"

They do on the sites I've been to.

I've never seen this additional information of which you speak. Show me a website with this.

For most activities a light shower is not the same as pouring all day.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I have an Amazon Echo and its very fond of this. Yesterday it told me that there is a 25 percent of rain today, well it did rain today but mostly because the cloudbase was so low we got enveloped in it and it was kind of like drizzly mist not rain as such. So does this mean I was in the 25 percent of my region that got it or that I got 25 percent of the possible rain? No idea, sorry. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In article , Harry Bloomfield writes

Either way it's useless information. I want to know if it is going to rain or not. Of course you can never prove them wrong.

So they weren't wrong :-)

Reply to
bert

She's reproduced already?

Reply to
bert

Only time I've been enveloped in rain is up mountains, like Ben Nevis 4 days ago.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Time travel innit? She's present in two or more times at once, so she's a women.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Pretty useful actually. If it is likely to rain, you know not to go out without a coat or umbrella, drive an open topped car or start an outdoor event that could instead take place indoors. It matters little whether it rains for 20 minutes or all day if you are going to get soaked pat way through.

You are correct that there are many other things where the period it will rain for is more useful than the likelihood though.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Most people don't care if they get a light drizzle for 10 minutes, but do if it pours for 3 hours.

Again, I'd take the open topped car if I knew it was only going to rain for small periods. I can always close the lid.

Again, a sport like football or tennis doesn't have to stop for a bit of rain, but it would for a lot if the ground got waterlogged.

But you don't get soaked if it's only a short shower.

Every thing.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

There's a 50% chance that tomorrow's weather will be the same as today's. No need for any further weather forecasts.

Reply to
AnthonyL

;-)

A mate moved from the UK to Canada then spent some time in California. He said one of the more striking differences between living there (California) and the UK is that in California they planned to go boating 'next Thursday', the chances are that the weather will be pretty much the same as it was the day they planned the trip. ;-)

Over here, I'd say it's rarely possible to accurately predict the weather that afternoon and you can experience the weather from at least three seasons in the same day. ;-)

'Right kids, get your flip flops, shoes, Wellingtons, shorts, coats and don't forget the sun cream ...' ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

As my brother (whos moved to the US) frequently says:

In the US they have climate. In the UK we have weather.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I don't care what the weather is. A pair of shorts works for anything. Humans are waterproof and warmblooded and don't require a change of clothes for a change in the weather.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Have you been to Birmingham ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I was talking about the weather, not Muslims.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

How about showers or inteminant showers or heavy downfalls, storms.

So what would 50% mean light showers for 50% of the day or heavy rain 50% of the day, and whayt would the other 50% be of the day be like ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

How and does yuor 100% refer the a day ?

I've often wondered what aort of entity you are.

Reply to
whisky-dave

No the way she parked the Tardis !

Reply to
whisky-dave

How comes then that humans get frost bite adn have died from being too cold ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

James Wilkinson Sword

Only if you have shit circulation. I go hillwalking barefoot for hours in the snow, my feet just go red. Extra blood, they can't freeze.

The autopsies are a lie. Easier to write cold than to work out why they really died.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword